Dec 5, 2011, 11:12 AM EDT
But the smart money says Oden was never leaving Portland, and Marc Spears at Yahoo is reporting he is about to take his $8.8 million option for this season and then test the market next summer.
Oden missed last season after having microfracture surgery on his left knee in November. The 23-year-old hasn’t played since December 2009 when he needed surgery to repair a fractured left kneecap. He was averaging 11.7 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.4 blocks at the time of injury.
Oden’s body has betrayed him and he has played 82 games in four seasons. He is not expected back this season until January at the earliest.
But it shows you how in demand big men who can defend and rebound are that there is still demand for him out there.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28