Dec 5, 2011, 11:12 AM EDT
But the smart money says Oden was never leaving Portland, and Marc Spears at Yahoo is reporting he is about to take his $8.8 million option for this season and then test the market next summer.
Oden missed last season after having microfracture surgery on his left knee in November. The 23-year-old hasn’t played since December 2009 when he needed surgery to repair a fractured left kneecap. He was averaging 11.7 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.4 blocks at the time of injury.
Oden’s body has betrayed him and he has played 82 games in four seasons. He is not expected back this season until January at the earliest.
But it shows you how in demand big men who can defend and rebound are that there is still demand for him out there.
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 25
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 1
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 26
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27