Dec 5, 2011, 11:12 AM EDT
But the smart money says Oden was never leaving Portland, and Marc Spears at Yahoo is reporting he is about to take his $8.8 million option for this season and then test the market next summer.
Oden missed last season after having microfracture surgery on his left knee in November. The 23-year-old hasn’t played since December 2009 when he needed surgery to repair a fractured left kneecap. He was averaging 11.7 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.4 blocks at the time of injury.
Oden’s body has betrayed him and he has played 82 games in four seasons. He is not expected back this season until January at the earliest.
But it shows you how in demand big men who can defend and rebound are that there is still demand for him out there.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3