Dec 5, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT
Deciding where to go to college is difficult, and you’re smart to ask for advice on the process.
It’s not smart to say you’ll go where a basketball star who never went to college tells you.
But that’s what Chris Walker has done. Walker is the kind of guy you might hear about on this site in a couple years anyway — a 6’10” forward who is athletic and has a face-up game and is considered one of the top 10 players in the nation for the class of 2013 by most recruiting services.
“I’m a top 5 player in the country in class of 2013. Where should I go to college Mr. James?” Walker asked James on Twitter.
“If LeBron hits me back and tells me where he thinks I should go, I’d do it,” Walker told ESPN’s Jason Jordan in an interview this week. “In my opinion, he’s the best player in the league and I really look up to him. Plus, he’s the king. Gotta listen to the king, right?”
When James heard about the request he offered some advice, and a few school suggestions.
“The advice I would give Chris Walker is to follow his heart and go where he believes he can help the program and they can give him a great education,” James told ESPN.com.
“Of course Ohio State and Kentucky are my two favorite programs for many reasons. They have great basketball programs, great coaches, players and are two of the best colleges in America. But with that said, Chris, you will know where you want to go when the time comes. I’m looking forward to seeing you make the decision and take your talents to that program and shine.”
LeBron goes with the “taking your talents” line again, but this time at least it’s better advice.
What Walker should do is see who recruits him and see which of those schools have a style of play and a coach he thinks he likes. Narrow it down to five or so then visit those campuses and see where he feels he most comfortable and at home. It’s about fit, and it needs to be because you have to choose the college that will prepare you best for life after basketball. The number of guys out there who are big time recruits like Walker who never make the NBA are staggering, but the chance to get to get a good college education because you can play can and should alter your life. Don’t squander it.
Trust your own gut to make a good decision.
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 12
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 23
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 11
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 13
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26