Dec 5, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
Butler will visit with team officials from the Chicago Bulls on Monday morning, followed by trips to sit down with officials from the Los Angeles Clippers on Monday night, the San Antonio Spurs on Tuesday, the New Jersey Nets on Wednesday and possibly the Detroit Pistons on Thursday, a source close to the situation confirmed Sunday night.
Money matters, it always does, but years will matter to Butler as well. With all his red flags teams will want short deals but the ones that offer multi-year contracts will get his ear.
10: 22 am: For a guy who is over 30 and hasn’t played since last January due to major knee surgery, Caron Butler is a very popular guy.
Which speaks to the lack of depth in this free agent class — everyone sees the red flags up around Butler and are moving fast to talk to him and maybe sign him Dec. 9. Even though he can’t work out for coaches until Dec. 9. There is a lot of blind trust out there.
That starts with the Los Angeles Clippers, who will meet with Butler Monday, according to the Los Angeles Times.
But that will not be the only meeting this week. Butler is expected to meet with the Chicago Bulls reports CSNChicago.com and there is interest from interest from the San Antonio Spurs as well. And there are others.
Butler is a solid wing — if he can return to pre-injury form — so it is easy to understand why the Clippers and Bulls have interest. Butler is likely to at least get the mid-level exception money of $5 million annually, if not more. Which some will point to as a sign the owners did not really learn their lessons from the lockout.
But this is basic supply and demand at work. There is a demand for good wing players and not much supply in this free agency (there is not much supply of anything in this free agency). So, guys with question marks like Butler get more money because if they are right they are a good fit. And GM are willing to take that risk.
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 0
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 28
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose 31
- George Hill injury jeopardizes Pacers’ identity 1
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay