Dec 3, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
The Spurs will likely look a bit different this year than they did last season. Tim Duncan‘s a year older. Manu Ginobili is a year older. DeJuan Blair‘s knees are a year older. They traded George Hill for Kawhi Leonard. Tiago Splitter will get more minutes. And from the looks of it, they’ll have another small forward. Which is… interesting. From the San Antonio News Express:
The Spurs are believed to have been in contact with representatives of at least four free-agent small forwards: Dallas’ Caron Butler, former New Jersey Net Bostjan Nachbar and Washington Wizards Josh Howard and Maurice Evans.T
his doesn’t necessarily mean the Spurs have already decided to waive Jefferson, who has three years and nearly $30.5 million left on his deal . It only means that option is on the table, and general manager R.C. Buford is apparently preparing for that contingency.
Using the amnesty on Jefferson should be a near certainty. His production improved last year in the regular season and then vanished into nothingness in the playoffs. Leonard is a gifted defender with exceptional length, and adding Josh Howard might replace Jefferson’s offense if Howard is healthy. Butler would be another good fit at both ends of the floor.
The Spurs are clearly looking for a cheap pickup. It’s reasonable to think Peter Holt is considering scaling back on spending in anticipation of the new luxury tax. The money would still have to be spent on Jefferson, but the Spurs could move forward. If Jefferson were to be amnestied, though, he’d get a significant number of offers.
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 29
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 61
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 32
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 75