Rondo’s not really cool with this whole “we may trade you to a non-contender, but seriously we love you” thing
Dec 3, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
How would you like it if you found out, through the media, no less, that your employer was thinking of shipping you to a worse company in exchange for someone who everyone says is so much better than you despite his never having reached the pinacle of your profession and your longstanding success with your company?
Not well, right? Apparently Rajon Rondo shares your disenchantment. From the Boston Herald:
According to one source, Rondo has been angry with the sense the Celts are shopping him, but his representative used calmer language to describe the player’s response.
“I think he’s just curious,” said Bill Duffy, who was at the Celtics practice facility yesterday. “ ‘Do they want me, or do they not want me?’ Those are the prominent questions that he’s asking.
“It’s just disturbing. It’s disturbing for everybody. It’s disturbing for me. It’s disturbing for him, because it makes one think, ‘Where do I stand in this relationship?’ Particularly because he’s a darn good player, and this is a very successful franchise, and he’s one of the key players on the franchise.
Rondo is a mercurial personality. That’s why these talks are dangerous. Rondo is going to perform no mater what. But he does take things personally, like the Perkins trade. The Celtics have enough going against themselves this season with a depleted bench and age. They don’t need this added stress.
But on the flip side, this is partially on Rondo. A better, more consistent jumper, this isn’t a problem. A wider offensive set, and there’s no upside in trading him. He is what he is, and that is a terrific point guard who may have the best feel for weapons in the league. But Chris Paul’s the best point guard and the gap isn’t narrow. Rondo has had a nice, safe run up until now. But the pressure is mounting. The Celtics need to know what happens after the Big 3 retire. Unless Rondo becomes the player they know for sure they can build around, there will continue to be times when management looks to see if it can upgrade.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 20
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80