Dec 3, 2011, 10:00 PM EST
Yes, there have been back-channel communications. Yes, there are indications and sources and talks. But free agency hasn’t officially begun and won’t until Monday. But Monday, according to an ESPN report, that’s when free agents can begin being wooed by teams and executives. Cue the Brazilian steakhouse jokes!
NBA team executives and coaches will be allowed to start talking to players around the league Monday at 10 a.m. ET, according to league sources.
Teams were notified Saturday that contact with players and free agents will be allowed Monday in advance of the scheduled opening of training camps Dec. 9.
Stein notes that oral and written deals cannot be agreed to until camp starts on Dec. 9, which is ridiculous. “You can pick her up and take her out and show her a good time and go back to her place, but you can’t date her.” Come on, now. So in short, expect Nene to rack up a ton of frequent flyer miles, and for deals to start leaking out as early as Wednesday.
It’s going to be a frantic free agency period despite the lack of talent in this group. Which once again makes you wonder what the lockout was for exactly. Nevermind, don’t ask questions. It might come back.
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 3
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 11
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 16
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 49