Dec 3, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Andrew Bynum went straight from high school to the circus environment that can be the Los Angeles Lakers. It is in those three rings where he learned how to be a professional. That started with the little things, like eating healthier after practice than McDonalds, and worked its way up to dealing with the media.
And trade rumors. If you are on the Lakers you will end up in a lot of trade rumors. Doesn’t matter your importance or stature, you will eventually be named in rumors from the realistic to ridiculous. Bynum has been in a constant stream of trade rumors since he entered the league and he’s learned how to deal with them.
Which is why this report about Bynum not being fazed by talk of him being swapped for Dwight Howard makes sense. From Yannis Koutroupis at Hoopsworld.
The source classified Bynum as “indifferent” to all the trade talk and willing to play wherever. This is the third time he’s been rumored to be the centerpiece of a package for an All-Star, previously being involved in discussions for Kevin Garnett and Jason Kidd.
The source also spoke highly regarding how good of a fit Bynum would be in Orlando, stating that it’s his time to be the man. Bynum voiced the desire to be more of a featured option at the conclusion of last season, but it’s going to be hard for that to happen as long as Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant are still Lakers.
New Lakers coach Mike Brown wants to focus the offense more around the Lakers big men (comparing it to the Tim Duncan and David Robinson offense in San Antonio), but there are only so many shots to go around and Bynum will be option No. 3.
That same source thinks Bynum will end up in Orlando. Maybe. Orlando first will have to have Howard tell them he is not willing to sign an extension. When the offers come in, a Lakers package based around Bynum and Lamar Odom for Howard and Hedo Turkoglu might be the best out there. But then the Magic have to decide if they want the public relations hit of dealing Howard to the franchise that took Shaq from them.
Which is to say it could happen but we’re a long way from there. Not that Andrew Bynum cares one way or another.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 20
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 12