Dec 3, 2011, 8:30 PM EDT
Chauncey Billups is not chopped liver. He is a five-time NBA All-Star, an NBA Champion and finals MVP. He’s a rock in the locker room, someone highly respected by other players around the league. He’s a damn good point guard.
And last year he was moved on the whims of a superstar, yanked out of his home town of Denver and dropped in New York City.
Now, because another superstar — one who happens to play point guard, just like Billups — wants to come to New York there is all kind of rumors about Billups getting shipped out again. And he told the New York Times he doesn’t like it.
“It wouldn’t make me happy,” Billups said Friday in a phone interview from his Denver home. “Because for me, at this juncture in my career, I just want to win….”
“I want to win another championship,” he said. “I think we got some good pieces in New York. I felt like we were making that move to be possibly one of those top teams. I don’t want to play for no team that’s rebuilding.”
Billups is in the last year of a deal that will pay him $14.2 million, which makes him the anchor of all large Knicks reported trades. Including one to the rebuilding (and ownerless) New Orleans Hornets for Chris Paul.
That trade is not going to happen. But the Knicks want a third star and they are going to be shopping around hard for that player or assets to get that player, and Billups with his expiring deal will get mentioned in all of them. He’s a veteran, he knows how to handle the rumors and the change.
But the guy is not chopped liver — the Knicks can do well with him. He just seems to deserve a little better.
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul 0
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 7
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6