Dec 3, 2011, 8:30 PM EDT
Chauncey Billups is not chopped liver. He is a five-time NBA All-Star, an NBA Champion and finals MVP. He’s a rock in the locker room, someone highly respected by other players around the league. He’s a damn good point guard.
And last year he was moved on the whims of a superstar, yanked out of his home town of Denver and dropped in New York City.
Now, because another superstar — one who happens to play point guard, just like Billups — wants to come to New York there is all kind of rumors about Billups getting shipped out again. And he told the New York Times he doesn’t like it.
“It wouldn’t make me happy,” Billups said Friday in a phone interview from his Denver home. “Because for me, at this juncture in my career, I just want to win….”
“I want to win another championship,” he said. “I think we got some good pieces in New York. I felt like we were making that move to be possibly one of those top teams. I don’t want to play for no team that’s rebuilding.”
Billups is in the last year of a deal that will pay him $14.2 million, which makes him the anchor of all large Knicks reported trades. Including one to the rebuilding (and ownerless) New Orleans Hornets for Chris Paul.
That trade is not going to happen. But the Knicks want a third star and they are going to be shopping around hard for that player or assets to get that player, and Billups with his expiring deal will get mentioned in all of them. He’s a veteran, he knows how to handle the rumors and the change.
But the guy is not chopped liver — the Knicks can do well with him. He just seems to deserve a little better.
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 0
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 14
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 15
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32