Dec 3, 2011, 8:30 PM EST
Chauncey Billups is not chopped liver. He is a five-time NBA All-Star, an NBA Champion and finals MVP. He’s a rock in the locker room, someone highly respected by other players around the league. He’s a damn good point guard.
And last year he was moved on the whims of a superstar, yanked out of his home town of Denver and dropped in New York City.
Now, because another superstar — one who happens to play point guard, just like Billups — wants to come to New York there is all kind of rumors about Billups getting shipped out again. And he told the New York Times he doesn’t like it.
“It wouldn’t make me happy,” Billups said Friday in a phone interview from his Denver home. “Because for me, at this juncture in my career, I just want to win….”
“I want to win another championship,” he said. “I think we got some good pieces in New York. I felt like we were making that move to be possibly one of those top teams. I don’t want to play for no team that’s rebuilding.”
Billups is in the last year of a deal that will pay him $14.2 million, which makes him the anchor of all large Knicks reported trades. Including one to the rebuilding (and ownerless) New Orleans Hornets for Chris Paul.
That trade is not going to happen. But the Knicks want a third star and they are going to be shopping around hard for that player or assets to get that player, and Billups with his expiring deal will get mentioned in all of them. He’s a veteran, he knows how to handle the rumors and the change.
But the guy is not chopped liver — the Knicks can do well with him. He just seems to deserve a little better.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 0
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 22
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 51
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (53)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)