Dec 2, 2011, 3:51 PM EDT
But either way he knows he’s not getting there by a trade.
“He has not asked for a trade to the Knicks because he knows the Knicks don’t have anything to offer,” the source said. “He wouldn’t insult the Hornets by doing that.”
The source did not confirm or deny reports that a representative for Paul has told the Hornets their point guard wants to be traded to the Knicks, but league sources say team general manager Dell Demps will not take any action until he hears directly from Paul regarding his intentions.
So to sum up: An associate of Paul or his agent, with or without the player’s blessing, got word to the Hornets that Paul wanted to be traded to the Knicks. Paul has denied saying it (which is why you have associates do it) and at the very least understands that trade is not coming together. Not without a far more complex multi-team deal where other teams get assets to the Hornets.
So now what?
Demps watched Denver last year wait other teams out until they got the best offer they could get (thank you James Dolan) and pulled the trigger. That may happen here. A team sits back and tries to woo Paul and if he expresses interest then the two sides start talking trade seriously.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23