Dec 2, 2011, 5:29 PM EDT
On Wednesday, NBA teams were allowed to contact agents for the first time since June 30, the day before the lockout commenced. Executives were given the opportunity to work the phones and express interest in upcoming free agents ten days before those players can start signing with teams.
One player that came up often in conversations was Jamal Crawford. He’s arguably the best shooting guard in this year’s free agent class and one of the best pure scorers available. After averaging 14.2 points off of the Atlanta Hawks’ bench last season, Crawford is receiving plenty of interest around the league.
A number of teams made calls to Crawford’s camp on Wednesday including the New Jersey Nets, New Orleans Hornets, Chicago Bulls, Miami Heat, Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks, Phoenix Suns and Portland Trail Blazers, according to sources close to the situation.
It makes sense that so many contenders are interested in Crawford, who LeBron James attempted to recruit via Twitter a few years back. Crawford excels at drilling long jumpers, either off the dribble or spotting up, and can provide instant offense and floor-spacing to any team. He doesn’t need plays called for him or an offense built around him to be effective — he can come off the bench, fire in some long jumpers, and then go right back to the bench and wait for his number to be called again. Also, he may have the coolest signature move in the NBA, and everyone loves signature moves.
Due to Crawford’s middling scoring efficiency, poor defense, and iffy passing skills, he’s not a player that any team can build around, but he’s a luxury that almost any contending team would like to have. However, with so many teams bidding for Crawford, it’s almost a foregone conclusion that he’ll end up being overpaid, so don’t be surprised if the team that wins the “Crawford sweepstakes” ends up feeling like they got a booby prize after a season or two has gone by.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights