Dec 2, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
While the Mavericks championship banner will be raised to the rafters on the NBA’s opening day — while LeBron James and the Heat watch — the players will not get their championship rings that day.
Because Mark Cuban hasn’t had them made yet. ESPNDallas.com reports the details.
Mavs owner Mark Cuban has not had the 2010-11 championship rings designed because he wants to get input from Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry and Jason Kidd as to how the rings should look, Cuban confirmed Thursday night.
“I think he is waiting for J-Kidd and Dirk and I to come up with something,” Terry said Thursday when he was the lone Mavs player to work out at the American Airlines Center on the first day that locked-out players could return to their teams’ practice facilities.
The Mavericks will do a separate ring ceremony later in the season. Once they get them made.
Cuban said after the finals he wanted to do something other than the “old school” championship rings. Except he has a veteran team of old-school guys who want a ring. So they work together to figure out something.
Cuban joked on twitter this week he wants to present the team with “solid gold commemorative mouse pads.” Aren’t mouse pads old school?
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 21
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 29
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 4
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31