Dec 2, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
While the Mavericks championship banner will be raised to the rafters on the NBA’s opening day — while LeBron James and the Heat watch — the players will not get their championship rings that day.
Because Mark Cuban hasn’t had them made yet. ESPNDallas.com reports the details.
Mavs owner Mark Cuban has not had the 2010-11 championship rings designed because he wants to get input from Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry and Jason Kidd as to how the rings should look, Cuban confirmed Thursday night.
“I think he is waiting for J-Kidd and Dirk and I to come up with something,” Terry said Thursday when he was the lone Mavs player to work out at the American Airlines Center on the first day that locked-out players could return to their teams’ practice facilities.
The Mavericks will do a separate ring ceremony later in the season. Once they get them made.
Cuban said after the finals he wanted to do something other than the “old school” championship rings. Except he has a veteran team of old-school guys who want a ring. So they work together to figure out something.
Cuban joked on twitter this week he wants to present the team with “solid gold commemorative mouse pads.” Aren’t mouse pads old school?
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 19
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 10
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 15
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months