Dec 2, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
While the Mavericks championship banner will be raised to the rafters on the NBA’s opening day — while LeBron James and the Heat watch — the players will not get their championship rings that day.
Because Mark Cuban hasn’t had them made yet. ESPNDallas.com reports the details.
Mavs owner Mark Cuban has not had the 2010-11 championship rings designed because he wants to get input from Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry and Jason Kidd as to how the rings should look, Cuban confirmed Thursday night.
“I think he is waiting for J-Kidd and Dirk and I to come up with something,” Terry said Thursday when he was the lone Mavs player to work out at the American Airlines Center on the first day that locked-out players could return to their teams’ practice facilities.
The Mavericks will do a separate ring ceremony later in the season. Once they get them made.
Cuban said after the finals he wanted to do something other than the “old school” championship rings. Except he has a veteran team of old-school guys who want a ring. So they work together to figure out something.
Cuban joked on twitter this week he wants to present the team with “solid gold commemorative mouse pads.” Aren’t mouse pads old school?
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50