Dec 2, 2011, 5:59 PM EDT
From ESPN.com’s Marc Stein:
It’s been a familiar refrain from a handful of front-office types during the first few days of the NBA’s gradual return to offseason normalcy: Denver’s Arron Afflalo is a popular choice when you ask execs to pinpoint the most attractive free agent outside of the big men…
…Sources told ESPN.com that the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers, despite possessing no cap space to bid for the 26-year-old swingman, will continue to press the Nuggets to see if they’re amenable to sign-and-trade discussions. Sources say New Jersey and Minnesota, meanwhile, are among the teams with salary-cap space weighing whether to extend an offer sheet after free agency officially starts Dec. 9 that the Nuggets will have three days to match to keep Afflalo.
Afflalo, who excels at perimeter defense and knocking down open shots, is the type of solid role player that teams love to have — players with the athleticism to play good defense, the ability to make three-point shots, and the maturity to not use their shooting range and athleticism to force tough shots are not easy to come by. Afflalo would be a natural upgrade over Keith Bogans in Chicago, and would be a younger, cheaper, and overall better version of Metta World Peace in Los Angeles. (New Jersey and Minnesota, meanwhile, apparently can’t even look at a free-agent swingman without putting an offer sheet on the table.)
Of course, as Stein notes in his article, it will likely take a huge offer sheet to pry Afflalo away from the Nuggets, as they can match any offer sheet he receives and Denver has already lost both Wilson Chandler and J.R. Smith to China in free agency. Plenty of contenders would love to have Afflalo on their wings, but it’s hard to imagine him wearing anything but a Nuggets jersey at the beginning of next season.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14