Dec 1, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT
Jim Buss has a fondness for Andrew Bynum. Buss is now the guy calling the day-to-day shots for the Lakers but when he was coming up he was one of the champions of the Lakers drafting Bynum. This has made Bynum sort of Buss’ sign that he could do this job while many around the Lakers question it. Which meant Bynum could not be traded.
But Buss is ready to trade Bynum if it means Dwight Howard comes to the Lakers. As he should.
It’s no surprise to anyone that the Lakers will be one of the primary suitors in a possible trade for Howard, and a person with knowledge of the team’s strategy told CBSSports.com that executive Jim Buss finally has dropped his opposition to trading center Andrew Bynum “for the right deal.” That’s code for “a deal for Dwight Howard,” and it’s clear from those familiar with Howard’s thinking that he’d like to join the Lakers. Bynum may or may not be on the Magic’s list of suitable replacements for Howard in a potential deal that also would have to include young players on rookie contracts and draft picks. The Bucks’ Andrew Bogut may be a better fit, a notion that has conjured speculation in the agent community of a three-team deal that would land Bynum in Milwaukee, Bogut in Orlando and Howard in L.A.
There are a whole lot of other players that would need to be in such a deal — the Lakers would have to take on Hedo Turkoglu or one of the Magic’s bad contracts, the Bucks are going to want good players besides Bynum and a lot of picks are going to move around as well. It would be very tough to pull off. (And is not going to happen until the Magic decide they need to move Howard.)
But at least Buss gets it. Bynum is good, but if you get the chance to get the best center on the planet, a guy to build around in the post Kobe Bryant era, you do it.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights