Dec 1, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT
Jim Buss has a fondness for Andrew Bynum. Buss is now the guy calling the day-to-day shots for the Lakers but when he was coming up he was one of the champions of the Lakers drafting Bynum. This has made Bynum sort of Buss’ sign that he could do this job while many around the Lakers question it. Which meant Bynum could not be traded.
But Buss is ready to trade Bynum if it means Dwight Howard comes to the Lakers. As he should.
It’s no surprise to anyone that the Lakers will be one of the primary suitors in a possible trade for Howard, and a person with knowledge of the team’s strategy told CBSSports.com that executive Jim Buss finally has dropped his opposition to trading center Andrew Bynum “for the right deal.” That’s code for “a deal for Dwight Howard,” and it’s clear from those familiar with Howard’s thinking that he’d like to join the Lakers. Bynum may or may not be on the Magic’s list of suitable replacements for Howard in a potential deal that also would have to include young players on rookie contracts and draft picks. The Bucks’ Andrew Bogut may be a better fit, a notion that has conjured speculation in the agent community of a three-team deal that would land Bynum in Milwaukee, Bogut in Orlando and Howard in L.A.
There are a whole lot of other players that would need to be in such a deal — the Lakers would have to take on Hedo Turkoglu or one of the Magic’s bad contracts, the Bucks are going to want good players besides Bynum and a lot of picks are going to move around as well. It would be very tough to pull off. (And is not going to happen until the Magic decide they need to move Howard.)
But at least Buss gets it. Bynum is good, but if you get the chance to get the best center on the planet, a guy to build around in the post Kobe Bryant era, you do it.
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 26
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 30
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 18
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 14
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26