Dec 1, 2011, 5:46 PM EDT
Joel Anthony averaged just 2.0 points and 3.5 rebounds per game for the Miami Heat last season. Yet if you ask the right people, they’ll preach of his on-court value. Anthony is considerably undersized for the center position, but his smart decisions, constant activity, and impressive lateral quickness make him an excellent team defender. Anthony has some rather glaring flaws (Erick Dampier is envious of Anthony’s true mastery of the fumbled pass), but he plays well in spite of them and has won over a certain subset of hardcore basketball fans as a result.
But even the most hardcore of the known Anthony supporters pale in their zeal next to Heat center Dexter Pittman. Tom Haberstroh of ESPN.com’s Heat Index caught up with Pittman at Miami’s unofficial workout on Thursday, when he apparently needed to get a few things off his chest about the Heat’s center position and Anthony’s play last season:
As a big man on the roster, [Pittman] has taken it personally when people claim that the Heat lack inside presence, calling it “a slap in the face.” Pittman thinks very, very highly of his teammate Joel Anthony. “We’re big guys. You saw what Joel Anthony did. He altered a lot of shots and blocked a lot of shots. He was one of the best players in the NBA last year.”
Pittman had one of the best seats in the house for Miami’s games last season, but he seems to have taken his enthusiasm for the defensive pick-and-roll read a bit far. We’re all guilty of exaggeration from time-to-time, but let’s all just take a deep breath before we start submitting Anthony’s name for All-NBA consideration, Dex.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 31
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?