Nov 30, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
Yes, the Bulls need to give some consideration to a two guard (Arron Afflalo is the perfect fit but Denver won’t let him go) and some depth up front.
But those are not the biggest priority.
Job No. 1 — keep Derrick Rose happy. He is the franchise cornerstone, the MVP, the guy who fills the seats and who sponsors pay to be associated with. He’s the meal ticket.
Which is why the Bulls are working on the framework for a new maximum extension for Rose, according to ESPNChicago.com.
Rose’s new deal will start at $17.4 million (next season), a figure he gets thanks to the “Derrick Rose” rule. As part of the new labor agreement, the rule lets rookies heading into their second contract who have made two All-NBA teams or won the MVP (as Rose did) get up to 30 percent of the salary cap (other rookies can get no more than 25 percent, meaning Rose gets about $3 million a year more).
Rose told CSNChicago.com he is flattered by and likes the rule. Ya think?
No real drama here, the Bulls will offer the deal and Rose will sign it. As it should be. There are a handful of cornerstone NBA players and when you have one you do whatever it takes to keep them.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 22
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 12
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 33
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 13
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (104)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead