Nov 30, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
You can add Nate Robinson to your list of free agents that fans love way more than GMs do.
Not officially, yet. Officially and through Dec. 9 Robinson is a member of the Oklahoma City Thunder set to make $4.5 million next season. But the two sides are working on a buyout, tweets J. Michael Falgoust of USA Today.
Nate Robinson will be bought out by #Thunder so he can become free agent. They tried to do this before the lockout. Working on it now.
This is mostly about roster space — after coming over from the Celtics last year (in the Kendrick Perkins trade) Robinson was used in just four Thunder games and played only 12 minutes total in the playoffs. He’s not part of the Thunder’s rotation.
It will not save the Thunder money, unless they decide to use the stretch provision of the new CBA (which seems unlikely for one year at just $4.5 million). That full salary will stay on the Thunder’s cap for this season, minus half of any deal he signs somewhere else. (So if Robinson signs with a team for $1 million, the Thunder get $500,000 off the cap.)
Teams looking for some scoring punch off the bench and a guy who will get the fan base excited may want Robinson. He’s not efficient, but he is entertaining.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 33
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 8
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23