Nov 30, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
You can add Nate Robinson to your list of free agents that fans love way more than GMs do.
Not officially, yet. Officially and through Dec. 9 Robinson is a member of the Oklahoma City Thunder set to make $4.5 million next season. But the two sides are working on a buyout, tweets J. Michael Falgoust of USA Today.
Nate Robinson will be bought out by #Thunder so he can become free agent. They tried to do this before the lockout. Working on it now.
This is mostly about roster space — after coming over from the Celtics last year (in the Kendrick Perkins trade) Robinson was used in just four Thunder games and played only 12 minutes total in the playoffs. He’s not part of the Thunder’s rotation.
It will not save the Thunder money, unless they decide to use the stretch provision of the new CBA (which seems unlikely for one year at just $4.5 million). That full salary will stay on the Thunder’s cap for this season, minus half of any deal he signs somewhere else. (So if Robinson signs with a team for $1 million, the Thunder get $500,000 off the cap.)
Teams looking for some scoring punch off the bench and a guy who will get the fan base excited may want Robinson. He’s not efficient, but he is entertaining.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8