Nov 30, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
You can add Nate Robinson to your list of free agents that fans love way more than GMs do.
Not officially, yet. Officially and through Dec. 9 Robinson is a member of the Oklahoma City Thunder set to make $4.5 million next season. But the two sides are working on a buyout, tweets J. Michael Falgoust of USA Today.
Nate Robinson will be bought out by #Thunder so he can become free agent. They tried to do this before the lockout. Working on it now.
This is mostly about roster space — after coming over from the Celtics last year (in the Kendrick Perkins trade) Robinson was used in just four Thunder games and played only 12 minutes total in the playoffs. He’s not part of the Thunder’s rotation.
It will not save the Thunder money, unless they decide to use the stretch provision of the new CBA (which seems unlikely for one year at just $4.5 million). That full salary will stay on the Thunder’s cap for this season, minus half of any deal he signs somewhere else. (So if Robinson signs with a team for $1 million, the Thunder get $500,000 off the cap.)
Teams looking for some scoring punch off the bench and a guy who will get the fan base excited may want Robinson. He’s not efficient, but he is entertaining.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13