Nov 30, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
At 7 a.m. Phoenix time, the Suns began talking to agents of players. That meant checking in on some of their own guys but the first calls needed to go to the agents of free-agent players to show the Suns’ interest. The Suns will be feeling out the market for a scoring wing player and a backup point guard but there will be no spending that disrupts the salary-cap space they have set up for the summer of 2012. The free agent priority is getting an agreement with Hill, who is still represented by Babby’s former firm with Jim Tanner acting as Hill’s agent.
“Grant is an absolute first order of business and top priority,” Babby said of Hill. “I can’t contemplate him not being here. He represents everything we want the franchise to stand for — on and off the court. He’s our ballast.”
It had been widely speculated that the 39-year old Hill might be willing to take a massive pay cut, take his talents to South Beach, and chase that elusive ring, but Coro lays out a pretty compelling list of reasons why Hill will probably remain in Phoenix for the remainder of his career. If Hill does stay in Phoenix, it’s highly unlikely he’ll get that ring, which is unfortunate, but he’ll be remembered as a great talent who fought through injuries, always played the game the right way, kept playing at a high level well into his late 30s, and was one of the NBA’s all-time class acts.
Hill played in 80 games for Phoenix last season, and averaged 13.2 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in 30.1 minutes per game, which is incredible for someone Hill’s age with his injury history.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85