Nov 29, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
We in no way want to encourage you to gamble while in Las Vegas. There are so many fantastic restaurants — PBT personally recommends RM Seafood and B & B Ristorante — where you know you will get a certain return on your investment in the form of a great meal and atmosphere.
But if you still want to put your money down on the NBA….
Turns out Las Vegas likes the Miami Heat to walk away with the title, followed by the usual cast of characters, reports the Los Angeles Times.
MGM Mirage’s race and sports director Jay Rood considers Miami a 2-to-1 favorite to win the title, followed by the Lakers (9-to-2) and the Chicago Bulls and Oklahoma City Thunder (5-to-1). Meanwhile, Jay Kornegay, director of the Las Vegas Hilton Race and Sports Book, has tabbed the Heat as 2-to-1 favorites, unless the Chicago Bulls (6-to-1) get past them. That puts the Lakers (7-to-1) in a third-place tie with the Dallas Mavericks and Oklahoma City Thunder.
We want to note two things. First, Vegas tends to put the Lakers’ odds lower than they think they actually are because so many Lakers fans come to Vegas (due to proximity to L.A.) and there is a lot of money on them. Vegas hedges potential losses by keeping the odds tight.
Second, the goal of odds is not to predict the winners but to estimate the public’s perception and give them numbers that will encourage them to bet.
That said, I kind of like the Thunder at 5-1. Good team on the rise, young legs to combat the condensed schedule, some guy named Kevin Durant. Just sayin’.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 2
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44