Nov 29, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
We in no way want to encourage you to gamble while in Las Vegas. There are so many fantastic restaurants — PBT personally recommends RM Seafood and B & B Ristorante — where you know you will get a certain return on your investment in the form of a great meal and atmosphere.
But if you still want to put your money down on the NBA….
Turns out Las Vegas likes the Miami Heat to walk away with the title, followed by the usual cast of characters, reports the Los Angeles Times.
MGM Mirage’s race and sports director Jay Rood considers Miami a 2-to-1 favorite to win the title, followed by the Lakers (9-to-2) and the Chicago Bulls and Oklahoma City Thunder (5-to-1). Meanwhile, Jay Kornegay, director of the Las Vegas Hilton Race and Sports Book, has tabbed the Heat as 2-to-1 favorites, unless the Chicago Bulls (6-to-1) get past them. That puts the Lakers (7-to-1) in a third-place tie with the Dallas Mavericks and Oklahoma City Thunder.
We want to note two things. First, Vegas tends to put the Lakers’ odds lower than they think they actually are because so many Lakers fans come to Vegas (due to proximity to L.A.) and there is a lot of money on them. Vegas hedges potential losses by keeping the odds tight.
Second, the goal of odds is not to predict the winners but to estimate the public’s perception and give them numbers that will encourage them to bet.
That said, I kind of like the Thunder at 5-1. Good team on the rise, young legs to combat the condensed schedule, some guy named Kevin Durant. Just sayin’.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 1
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 3
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)