Nov 29, 2011, 9:34 AM EST
We suggest before reading this report you have a shaker of salt with you. Unless you’re a Celtics fan, in which case you should have blood pressure medicine with you. But know up front we don’t totally buy this.
While Boston is not shopping Rajon Rondo, it would be open to trading him in the right deal, sources say. The Celtics feel they need more scoring to take the load off of Paul Pierce.
If I were Boston I would consider trading Rondo as part of a deal to get Chris Paul out of New Orleans. Or Dwight Howard out of Orlando. That’s about it unless the Bulls decide to shop Derrick Rose (calm down Celtics fans, that’s not happening).
Rondo is not by himself a franchise cornerstone, but he’s the guy you want to pair with that cornerstone. He gave you 10.6 points and 11.2 assists per game and is a good defender, guys like that are not a dime a dozen. I get the need for scoring and the desire to make one more serious run this season with Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett and Pierce. But Rondo is the guy who is at the center of this team three years from now, and you only move him for a guy who is better and still young.
There just aren’t many of those.
- Report: JaVale McGee close to signing with Celtics 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 9
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 12
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18