Nov 29, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT
The NBA is currently in the process of moving the lockout into its rearview mirror, but even that development can’t bring home all of the league’s wayward sons. There are plenty of players who signed contracts overseas without an NBA out, and beyond that, apparently, a contingent that’s able to find better contract conditions overseas than they would in the states. Among them is Kyle Singler, who according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, is close to signing a deal with Real Madrid for the remainder of the season:
After an outstanding showing with Alicante in the [Spanish ACB] league – where he averaged a team-leading 15 points on 47 percent shooting – Singler decided to take the Real Madrid offer on Tuesday. A combination of his comfort level in Spain and a salary higher than that of most second-round draft picks convinced him to finish the season there, sources said.
The financial motivations make a lot of sense; second round picks make very little money in NBA terms, and if Singler is able to score a better contract overseas, power to him. But as Wojnarowski notes in his report, Singler had a real chance at playing time this season with the Detroit Pistons. He’s hardly a surefire pro-level talent, but the Pistons are a young, rebuilding team looking to appraise the pieces on their current roster. It’s likely that Singler would have been given a decent shot to perform, and whether that opportunity will still be there upon his eventual return to the NBA remains to be seen.
Regardless, this isn’t a particularly heavy decision. Singler has opted to play in one place over another, and while it would have been interesting to see the Duke product in an NBA setting, he’ll earn a bit more money while playing a comfortable role for one of the best non-NBA teams out there. Basketball life goes on.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29