Nov 29, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
If you are a general manager looking for a guy to gamble on in this free agency period, Thaddeus Young might be the call.
He is 22, can play either forward spot, is an athletic slasher with the ball and can finish around the rim, last season showed more mature selection, plus he can defend. He took a step forward last year as the Philadelphia sixth man and he was one reason they made the playoffs. There’s reasons PBT had him No. 5 on our top free agents list, even though he is restricted.
Hearing the Sixers are very nervous about someone swooping in with a big offer for Thaddeus Young. Young’s stock soared last season.
The Sixers are just under the salary cap right now at $54 million, so they have some room to match an offer to Young, they will not go that far to do it. He’s a guy the Sixers want back but they have other priorities.
Young has said he wants to stay with the Sixers, but if a big offer rolls in….
This is a guy to watch — some team with cap space and in need of a forward may well make a run at him. And it would be a smart risk.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 16
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 36
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4