Nov 28, 2011, 7:17 PM EDT
Nene will be the most coveted free agent on the market this year. He is a true center who can defend the paint, is an efficient shooter (61.5 percent last season) who will give you around 14 points a game, and is a solid rebounder. In a league full of fours masquerading around as fives, Nene is a true borderline All-Star center.
Which is why Denver wants to keep him. Why the Miami Heat want him (but have no real good way to get him unless he wants to make about half what he would anywhere else). Why the Pacers want him.
And now you can throw the Houston Rockets in that mix, according to the Houston Chronicle.
The Rockets have some hard decisions to make. They’re going all out for free-agent center Nene. He’s 29 years old and coming off a season in which he averaged 14.5 points and 7.0 rebounds per game. Nene is 6-11, 250 pounds, and Morey believes putting him in a lineup with Kyle Lowry and Kevin Martin would give the Rockets three to build around.
If (Rockets GM Daryl) Morey doesn’t get him, they could again be fighting for the eighth seed, far from being a team capable of winning in the playoffs. … That’s where the tough decision comes in. If they can’t land an impact player in free agency, is it time to rebuild and position themselves for Anthony Davis or Andre Drummond or another high draft pick next summer?
Morey did a fantastic job of putting role players around the stars he was given — Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady. The problem is, the bodies of the stars betrayed them. The Rockets, if they are serious about rebuilding and contending, need to get a star or stars.
Can Kevin Martin and Nene really be that? I’m not sold, I’d be thinking hard about ways to move up in the draft next year. But the Rockets with Nene certainly would be interesting and no pushover.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 22
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 28
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16