Nov 28, 2011, 7:17 PM EST
Nene will be the most coveted free agent on the market this year. He is a true center who can defend the paint, is an efficient shooter (61.5 percent last season) who will give you around 14 points a game, and is a solid rebounder. In a league full of fours masquerading around as fives, Nene is a true borderline All-Star center.
Which is why Denver wants to keep him. Why the Miami Heat want him (but have no real good way to get him unless he wants to make about half what he would anywhere else). Why the Pacers want him.
And now you can throw the Houston Rockets in that mix, according to the Houston Chronicle.
The Rockets have some hard decisions to make. They’re going all out for free-agent center Nene. He’s 29 years old and coming off a season in which he averaged 14.5 points and 7.0 rebounds per game. Nene is 6-11, 250 pounds, and Morey believes putting him in a lineup with Kyle Lowry and Kevin Martin would give the Rockets three to build around.
If (Rockets GM Daryl) Morey doesn’t get him, they could again be fighting for the eighth seed, far from being a team capable of winning in the playoffs. … That’s where the tough decision comes in. If they can’t land an impact player in free agency, is it time to rebuild and position themselves for Anthony Davis or Andre Drummond or another high draft pick next summer?
Morey did a fantastic job of putting role players around the stars he was given — Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady. The problem is, the bodies of the stars betrayed them. The Rockets, if they are serious about rebuilding and contending, need to get a star or stars.
Can Kevin Martin and Nene really be that? I’m not sold, I’d be thinking hard about ways to move up in the draft next year. But the Rockets with Nene certainly would be interesting and no pushover.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 17
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11