Nov 28, 2011, 12:06 PM EDT
“Rudy Fernandez’s plan is to join the Mavericks next week and play with them this year,” the source said. “Asking for a buyout is not an option at this moment at all. He wants to play with Dallas and do a good job there.”
My guess: The first reports came out of Spain and were likely someone tied to Madrid, but his agent stepped in and has tried to put out any fires.
I still expect Fernandez to play for Dallas this season and Real Madrid next season.
11:12 am: Next season, Rudy Fernandez will be playing for Real Madrid.
Which is where he has been playing the past month, draining crazy threes while the NBA remained on lockout. Now he is boarding a plane back to Dallas — which acquired him on a draft day trade to join their merry band of veterans (and replace Peja Stojakovic as the deep threat off the bench).
And when Fernandez gets to Dallas, he will tell management he wants to go back to Madrid, tweets Sportando.
As per El Confidencial, Rudy Fernandez will travel to Dallas next Monday and will tell Mavs he wants to continue his career with Real M.
It’s like Groundhog Day. We went through this last summer with Portland.
As Portland did, Dallas will tell him to be shut up and put on the Mavs uniform. Well, they’ll be nicer about it, but that will be the message. Dallas sees Fernandez as an upgrade they went out and got for a reason. A guy who can help them improve and repeat as champions. Plus, he’s an expiring deal in an era when the Mavs need to think about trimming payroll for a couple years down the line.
Next year you can return to Madrid, Fernandez. This season you will play in Dallas. Which is like the Madrid of Texas. Kind of.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49