Nov 28, 2011, 12:06 PM EDT
“Rudy Fernandez’s plan is to join the Mavericks next week and play with them this year,” the source said. “Asking for a buyout is not an option at this moment at all. He wants to play with Dallas and do a good job there.”
My guess: The first reports came out of Spain and were likely someone tied to Madrid, but his agent stepped in and has tried to put out any fires.
I still expect Fernandez to play for Dallas this season and Real Madrid next season.
11:12 am: Next season, Rudy Fernandez will be playing for Real Madrid.
Which is where he has been playing the past month, draining crazy threes while the NBA remained on lockout. Now he is boarding a plane back to Dallas — which acquired him on a draft day trade to join their merry band of veterans (and replace Peja Stojakovic as the deep threat off the bench).
And when Fernandez gets to Dallas, he will tell management he wants to go back to Madrid, tweets Sportando.
As per El Confidencial, Rudy Fernandez will travel to Dallas next Monday and will tell Mavs he wants to continue his career with Real M.
It’s like Groundhog Day. We went through this last summer with Portland.
As Portland did, Dallas will tell him to be shut up and put on the Mavs uniform. Well, they’ll be nicer about it, but that will be the message. Dallas sees Fernandez as an upgrade they went out and got for a reason. A guy who can help them improve and repeat as champions. Plus, he’s an expiring deal in an era when the Mavs need to think about trimming payroll for a couple years down the line.
Next year you can return to Madrid, Fernandez. This season you will play in Dallas. Which is like the Madrid of Texas. Kind of.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18