Nov 28, 2011, 10:14 AM EDT
Free agent priority No. 1 for the Knicks — maintain projected cap space for next summer so they can try to bring in one more star player (cough* Chris Paul *cough).
Priority No. 2: find a big defensive minded center, but one will take a one-year deal as not to screw up priority No. 1.
That leaves a pretty unimpressive list. One filled with names like Kwame Brown. Yes Knick fans, Kwame. You’re not going to like it but that’s what you’ll get, according to a list suggested by Marc Berman at the New York Post.
The lockout began July 1 and ended at 3:30 a.m. yesterday with the Knicks having the same grave need for a big, defensive center. With one-year deals at their disposal, it makes their center wish list — as first reported by The Post — rather modest, including veterans Kurt Thomas, Kwame Brown, Tony Battie, Theo Ratliff and Aaron Gray.
Thing is, of that list Brown may be the best choice.
Brown can defend opposing big men one-on-one pretty well. He’s got a big body and can use it when given focused tasks. He’ll be handy against Dwight Howard. If you want good help rotations against the slashing LeBron James or Derrick Rose, or if you want offense, Kwame is not your guy.
If I were the Knicks, I’d make a run at longtime Pacer Jeff Foster. Much better fit on a one-year deal.
But if the choice is Kwame or Theo Ratliff… well, that just doesn’t bode all that well for the Knicks season.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 52
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 34
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18