Nov 26, 2011, 10:15 PM EDT
Just like NBA fans, NBA players were shocked and excited early Saturday morning. (No, not like that. What is wrong with you people?)
When a bleary-eyed David Stern and Billy Hunter sat side-by-side in a NYC conference room about 3:30 Saturday morning to announce a deal, the NBA players who were up got the news and sounded like guys ready to go back to work.
“I had to turn on the NBA channel and then I realized that what [former Sacramento head coach] Reggie Theus said about nothing good happening after 2 a.m. wasn’t so true after all,” said Martin, the eight-year veteran who publicly called for an end to the lockout in early November. “I was just happy that there was a breakthrough and that we have a chance to do what we love to do.”
So naturally, he did just that — almost immediately. An hour later, Martin, who wasn’t about to go back to sleep, was working out in his favorite local gym.
Most NBA players took to twitter to express their joy.
There is this tweet from Kyrie Irving, the No. 1 overall pick set to start his career with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
“The journey now begins!!”
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 0
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 28
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games