Nov 25, 2011, 10:42 AM EDT
Amar’e Stoudemire didn’t come to New York so his wife could have a reality television show, he came there to win. He came to transform the Knicks from a decade of despair back into a team you had to respect. He came before there were other stars there.
And he knows the Knicks were basically a .500 team last season because they were 22nd in the league in defense (using points per possession). That’s the end of the where the changes have to take place.
Which is why Stoudemire told the New York Daily News he is excited to see Mike Woodson added to Mike D’Antoni’s staff as a defensive specialist.
“I think it’s great,” Stoudemire said Wednesday. “It’s definitely what we talked about, improving defensively. With the help of Mike (Woodson) it’s going to be really positive for us. But it’s up to us as players to take that commitment and implement it.”
A commitment from players is nice, but the Knicks need some personnel changes, too — they need a defensive minded big man in the middle. Their Tyson Chandler or Kendrick Perkins. No doubt Ronny Turiaf will give it his all but he is not the guy, there aren’t many of those guys. The Knicks need one because I don’t think “commitment” do defense will be enough with this roster. If they are going to be serious title contenders they need some defensive players to go with the scoring forward tandem.
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 18
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 30
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 42
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24