Nov 25, 2011, 2:40 PM EDT
You know those videos of a piranha feeding frenzy when a cow picks a poor time to walk across the Amazon? That is pretty much what the NBA free agency period will look like after the lockout.
Shane Battier is about to be one of those free agents.
Memphis wants to keep the band together after it’s playoff run last year, and told the Commercial Appeal — in a post primarily about how he blames both sides for the lockout, which is a logical and reasoned position, so expect him to be shunned by those involved — he’d consider it. But until he knows the rules, it’s hard to say where he lands.
“It’s unsettling to not know what the terms of the CBA will be,” said Battier, an unrestricted free agent. “What are the exceptions, who’ll be able to use these exceptions, what kind of cap? I have no idea where I can end up. When we do finally sign, it’s going to be chaos trying to go through the free agency period, and I’ll have to make a life decision (quickly).”
Battier said he’s hoping to get a three- or four-year deal.
“Memphis may be the best place to return to if teams are able to maintain (Larry) Bird rights,” Battier said. “… I want to be in a happy place. I want to go to work and enjoy it. When you go to work and you have a chance to win every night, your job is way better. That’s for any profession, but you want to have a role and be able to contribute to winning.”
How much is Memphis willing to pay Battier long term? They Grizzlies only have $37 million on the books for next season, but they are going to have to pay Marc Gasol big money (he is a restricted free agent). Would they give Battier a mid-level like deal for three years? Would he take that? Veterans who are good in the locker room and can defend are in demand, and in the frenzy who knows who will step up with offers.
I expect Battier will start the season with Memphis. Let’s just hope there is a season.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 0
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record