Nov 24, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
It’s always one of the tricky questions surrounding Thanksgiving dinner — what wine goes best with this feast? Traditionally you think white wine with fowl, but who wants some overly oaky California Chardonnay to go between mouthfuls of stuffing and sweet potatoes? I usually lean toward a nice Pinot Noir, but those can be so hit and miss depending on the year and vintner.
What I should have served — Yao Ming wine.
Yao’s new Napa Valley wine company, Yao Family Wines, has released its inaugural wine under the name “Yao Ming: a 2009Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon”.
It comes in a magnum bottle – meaning it can hold 1.5 liters of wine – costs 3,800 Yuan ($596) a pop and is extremely rare. None of the 1,200 bottles in existence will be sold on the open market.
There was only one bottle made public and the proceeds from the auction for it went to help the Special Olympics in China. And $600 is a tad more than I normally spend on a bottle, so I did not bid.
Gregg Popovich should have bid on the bottle, he’s the only person in the NBA Yao can really talk wine with.
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 8
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 9
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 34
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 2
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (95)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PFT: Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay