Nov 24, 2011, 6:33 PM EST
It’s always one of the tricky questions surrounding Thanksgiving dinner — what wine goes best with this feast? Traditionally you think white wine with fowl, but who wants some overly oaky California Chardonnay to go between mouthfuls of stuffing and sweet potatoes? I usually lean toward a nice Pinot Noir, but those can be so hit and miss depending on the year and vintner.
What I should have served — Yao Ming wine.
Yao’s new Napa Valley wine company, Yao Family Wines, has released its inaugural wine under the name “Yao Ming: a 2009Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon”.
It comes in a magnum bottle – meaning it can hold 1.5 liters of wine – costs 3,800 Yuan ($596) a pop and is extremely rare. None of the 1,200 bottles in existence will be sold on the open market.
There was only one bottle made public and the proceeds from the auction for it went to help the Special Olympics in China. And $600 is a tad more than I normally spend on a bottle, so I did not bid.
Gregg Popovich should have bid on the bottle, he’s the only person in the NBA Yao can really talk wine with.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 4
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 4
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (38)
- Jason Kidd fined $50K for intentionally spilling drink on the court to stop play in loss to Lakers (37)