Nov 24, 2011, 10:28 AM EDT
It looks like Turkish side Besiktas has found its NBA big man — and it turns out to be Deron Williams’ teammate.
Brook Lopez is near a deal with the Istanbul-based team to join them for the remainder of the lockout, reports Kartal Basketball )via Sportando). The deal is in place and just needs to be finalized, according to the report.
Brook’s brother Robin — the Suns center — would join him there, but just as a practice player, according to Sportando.
Brook is D-Will’s teammate with the Nets and them developing some on-court chemistry can only be good for the team and help the odds of the Nets re-signing Williams so he can lead the team into Brooklyn.
Besiktas had reached out to a variety of NBA big men — Dwight Howard, Carlos Boozer, Luol Deng, Lamar Odom — before landing Lopez. This is the same side that had Allen Iverson last season and made a run at Kobe Bryant.
Lopez does have an NBA out in his deal, so he will be back with New Jersey when the lockout ends. So with any luck, this will be one of the shortest trips to Istanbul ever.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 2
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 40
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11