Nov 24, 2011, 8:04 AM EDT
Yes, there are some owners willing to miss the season to crush the union.
But there also are motivations for other owners to get a deal done.
Take the Orlando Magic, for instance. While they would love tools in the new deal to make it more likely they can keep Dwight Howard, they also have some motivations to make sure there is a season — $2.8 million reasons, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
City government officials emphasize that the Magic are obligated to pay the city $2.8 million even if the entire season is canceled, so the city has some degree of protection from the effects of work stoppage, especially as it incurs some expenses in running the building.
“It was one of our lead negotiating points in the contract when we did the negotiations with the Magic,” the executive director of the city’s venues, Allen Johnson, told me in September. “We never anticipated a [lockout]. We never wanted one.”
The city would get more revenue if there are games, but that’s a nice little insurance policy for a municipality that, like every other city in the nation, is facing fiscal challenges.
But it also would be a challenge for the Magic ownership, which will have no revenue coming in but will have to cut checks to cities, sponsors, ticket holders and more. They will be writing checks they don’t want to write. And nobody will be happy.
Better to settle now and be playing by Christmas.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 6
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 14
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 10
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18