Nov 23, 2011, 1:19 AM EDT
Khloe & Lamar in Istanbul?
Besiktas has reportedly made runs recently at Kevin Love, Carlos Boozer and Luol Deng but have not been able to land one of them. Now Besiktas has lost center Semih Erden (of the Cavaliers) for a couple months with a broken thumb the need for another big man on the roster intensifies.
Other players on Besiktas’ radar, according to NTV Spor in Turkey, are Denver Nuggets free agent center Nene and Phoenix Suns center Marcin Gortat.
It’s believed that Gortat — owed just under $22 million over the next three seasons — is highly interested in the job, which is why he has been widely described in Turkey as the most likely newcomer from the NBA to join Williams. Odom’s contract, though, would be the most manageable insurance wise for Besiktas, with just two years left worth slightly more than $17 million, but only a partial guarantee in 2012-13.
Odom has mused that he might want to play overseas after he becomes a free agent again (likely after the next season), but then again Odom muses about a lot of things.
Players are being cautious with Besiktas — except for with Allen Iverson last season, the team had a reputation of being late with payments to players. Recently two WNBA players who play for the Besiktas women’s team left it for lack of payment. What sponsors would pick up the tab for another name NBA player remains to be seen.
That said, the ball is in Odom’s court.
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 0
- Harden’s 17 fourth quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 2
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 47
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 25
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20