Nov 23, 2011, 1:19 AM EDT
Khloe & Lamar in Istanbul?
Besiktas has reportedly made runs recently at Kevin Love, Carlos Boozer and Luol Deng but have not been able to land one of them. Now Besiktas has lost center Semih Erden (of the Cavaliers) for a couple months with a broken thumb the need for another big man on the roster intensifies.
Other players on Besiktas’ radar, according to NTV Spor in Turkey, are Denver Nuggets free agent center Nene and Phoenix Suns center Marcin Gortat.
It’s believed that Gortat — owed just under $22 million over the next three seasons — is highly interested in the job, which is why he has been widely described in Turkey as the most likely newcomer from the NBA to join Williams. Odom’s contract, though, would be the most manageable insurance wise for Besiktas, with just two years left worth slightly more than $17 million, but only a partial guarantee in 2012-13.
Odom has mused that he might want to play overseas after he becomes a free agent again (likely after the next season), but then again Odom muses about a lot of things.
Players are being cautious with Besiktas — except for with Allen Iverson last season, the team had a reputation of being late with payments to players. Recently two WNBA players who play for the Besiktas women’s team left it for lack of payment. What sponsors would pick up the tab for another name NBA player remains to be seen.
That said, the ball is in Odom’s court.
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 0
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 41
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 67
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 34
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8