Nov 23, 2011, 1:19 AM EDT
Khloe & Lamar in Istanbul?
Besiktas has reportedly made runs recently at Kevin Love, Carlos Boozer and Luol Deng but have not been able to land one of them. Now Besiktas has lost center Semih Erden (of the Cavaliers) for a couple months with a broken thumb the need for another big man on the roster intensifies.
Other players on Besiktas’ radar, according to NTV Spor in Turkey, are Denver Nuggets free agent center Nene and Phoenix Suns center Marcin Gortat.
It’s believed that Gortat — owed just under $22 million over the next three seasons — is highly interested in the job, which is why he has been widely described in Turkey as the most likely newcomer from the NBA to join Williams. Odom’s contract, though, would be the most manageable insurance wise for Besiktas, with just two years left worth slightly more than $17 million, but only a partial guarantee in 2012-13.
Odom has mused that he might want to play overseas after he becomes a free agent again (likely after the next season), but then again Odom muses about a lot of things.
Players are being cautious with Besiktas — except for with Allen Iverson last season, the team had a reputation of being late with payments to players. Recently two WNBA players who play for the Besiktas women’s team left it for lack of payment. What sponsors would pick up the tab for another name NBA player remains to be seen.
That said, the ball is in Odom’s court.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 8
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 30