Nov 23, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
Chris Andersen, role model.
The Birdman has been getting in some run during the lockout with the team of his old high school coach in Texas — Rob Stewart — and he left an impression on some impressionable youth.
While participating in full-court and fastbreak drills, scrimmages and even suicides, Andersen taught the players how to do a move he does on the pro level: running the short corner when opposing defenses go zone. Throughout every exercise, Andersen stressed to be aggressive “like bulldogs….”
“The funniest moment was when we were rebounding for him while he’s shooting free throws,” (senior Dylan) Tacconi said. “He’s like, ‘Ya’ll gotta talk or do something because it’s too quiet and I’m used to noise while I’m shooting free throws.’ He’s got his shirt off, he’s got tattoos all over the place. One of my other teammates, Bradley, and our friend, Joey, is in there with us, and Joey goes, ‘Go get another tattoo you freak.’ And my friend Bradley goes, ‘Hey, Chris, you missed a spot.’ He still made like every shot.”
It had to freak a few parents out to get a look at Birdman, to read about his past, and wonder what their kids were learning. But people who freak their parents out is exactly who high schoolers listen to. Out of this, if those kids learned to play the game — whatever the game — with the energy and desire of Andersen, they will have learned a valuable lesson.
- LeBron scores 36, Cavaliers bounce back to get overtime win over Bulls 4
- Ricky Rubio agrees to 4-year, $55 million contract extension with Timberwolves 6
- Report: Warriors agree to four-year, $70 million extension with Klay Thompson 13
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 13
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 11
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 10