Nov 23, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
Chris Andersen, role model.
The Birdman has been getting in some run during the lockout with the team of his old high school coach in Texas — Rob Stewart — and he left an impression on some impressionable youth.
While participating in full-court and fastbreak drills, scrimmages and even suicides, Andersen taught the players how to do a move he does on the pro level: running the short corner when opposing defenses go zone. Throughout every exercise, Andersen stressed to be aggressive “like bulldogs….”
“The funniest moment was when we were rebounding for him while he’s shooting free throws,” (senior Dylan) Tacconi said. “He’s like, ‘Ya’ll gotta talk or do something because it’s too quiet and I’m used to noise while I’m shooting free throws.’ He’s got his shirt off, he’s got tattoos all over the place. One of my other teammates, Bradley, and our friend, Joey, is in there with us, and Joey goes, ‘Go get another tattoo you freak.’ And my friend Bradley goes, ‘Hey, Chris, you missed a spot.’ He still made like every shot.”
It had to freak a few parents out to get a look at Birdman, to read about his past, and wonder what their kids were learning. But people who freak their parents out is exactly who high schoolers listen to. Out of this, if those kids learned to play the game — whatever the game — with the energy and desire of Andersen, they will have learned a valuable lesson.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 32
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 14
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0