Nov 22, 2011, 2:26 PM EST
If you read just one thing today, click the link and read the profile of Adam Morrison by Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
Morrison has been an NBA punch line for years now, the guy who couldn’t live up to the hype in Charlotte, who won two rings with the Lakers while wearing a suit, the guy cut from the Wizards. Adam Morrison became synonymous with bust for a lot of NBA fans.
But as always, the personal story is a lot more complex. It’s more compelling. Morrison opens up to Amick about the dark days without confidence, about walking away from the game and living on his ranch for a year just to escape. He talks about slowly rediscovering his love of the game.
He has started to turn it around playing in Serbia, and what those around him talk to Amick about is that the swagger that is back in Morrison’s game. It’s not just the 17 points per game, it’s the fire that has returned. Last month we showed you the video of Morrison getting ejected from a game — that made the people around him smile. That is the Morrison they know.
Morrison said his time in Serbia has been redemptive.
“It was such an adrenaline rush and an emotional high to be out there on the court again,” Morrison said. “Everybody who has done something in their life that they’ve had a passion for or done for a long time, and then all of a sudden it’s not there anymore, and then it comes back to you in such a rush [can relate].’
“I would’ve run through a brick wall that night for anything. Goose bumps. Sweating. That whole day, I’ve never been so focused. It was a friendly game, and I was thinking, ‘All right, I’m going nuts tonight. I don’t care what happens. I was ready to fight, to do anything, just to play.”
Do yourself a favor, click the link and read the whole story. You might even start rooting for Morrison.
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 0
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 2
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 5
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16