Nov 22, 2011, 2:26 PM EDT
If you read just one thing today, click the link and read the profile of Adam Morrison by Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
Morrison has been an NBA punch line for years now, the guy who couldn’t live up to the hype in Charlotte, who won two rings with the Lakers while wearing a suit, the guy cut from the Wizards. Adam Morrison became synonymous with bust for a lot of NBA fans.
But as always, the personal story is a lot more complex. It’s more compelling. Morrison opens up to Amick about the dark days without confidence, about walking away from the game and living on his ranch for a year just to escape. He talks about slowly rediscovering his love of the game.
He has started to turn it around playing in Serbia, and what those around him talk to Amick about is that the swagger that is back in Morrison’s game. It’s not just the 17 points per game, it’s the fire that has returned. Last month we showed you the video of Morrison getting ejected from a game — that made the people around him smile. That is the Morrison they know.
Morrison said his time in Serbia has been redemptive.
“It was such an adrenaline rush and an emotional high to be out there on the court again,” Morrison said. “Everybody who has done something in their life that they’ve had a passion for or done for a long time, and then all of a sudden it’s not there anymore, and then it comes back to you in such a rush [can relate].’
“I would’ve run through a brick wall that night for anything. Goose bumps. Sweating. That whole day, I’ve never been so focused. It was a friendly game, and I was thinking, ‘All right, I’m going nuts tonight. I don’t care what happens. I was ready to fight, to do anything, just to play.”
Do yourself a favor, click the link and read the whole story. You might even start rooting for Morrison.
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony in Game 6 (VIDEO) 5
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 9
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 6
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Mike Krzyzewski might coach USA Basketball in 2016 Olympics 3
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay