Nov 22, 2011, 8:31 PM EDT
It was only a matter of time before a politician somewhere (we like to imagine in a smoke-filled backroom) said “how can I gain some points with my constituents around the NBA lockout?”
Meet New York State Senator Malcolm A. Smith — who represents a rather gerrymandered looking district that includes parts of Hollis, Queens and more — who is putting up a petition in front of Madison Square Garden (not in his district) tomorrow for season ticket holders to sign and ask for a full refund of their full season ticket money. He’s bringing restaurant and bar owners losing money due to the lockout together to complain, too. (He should reach out to the guys running escort services, while he’s at it.)
Grandstanding. Look it up in the dictionary and this is exactly the definition.
People who renewed season seats and didn’t see this potential don’t get my pity. It was a risk, they renewed anyway. But they can now get their money back from the teams on games lost to date, or they can leave it with the team gaining interest that can be applied to future season seats. Which is what most are doing.
If you really want to have some fun, do this in front of the NBA league offices. Or the union offices. Both are in New York (again, outside Smith’s district). Why MSG?
Yes, we’re all ticked right now. But this is about as helpful as challenging Michael Jordan to a game of one-on-one to end the lockout.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 15
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 8
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 43
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4