Nov 22, 2011, 8:31 PM EDT
It was only a matter of time before a politician somewhere (we like to imagine in a smoke-filled backroom) said “how can I gain some points with my constituents around the NBA lockout?”
Meet New York State Senator Malcolm A. Smith — who represents a rather gerrymandered looking district that includes parts of Hollis, Queens and more — who is putting up a petition in front of Madison Square Garden (not in his district) tomorrow for season ticket holders to sign and ask for a full refund of their full season ticket money. He’s bringing restaurant and bar owners losing money due to the lockout together to complain, too. (He should reach out to the guys running escort services, while he’s at it.)
Grandstanding. Look it up in the dictionary and this is exactly the definition.
People who renewed season seats and didn’t see this potential don’t get my pity. It was a risk, they renewed anyway. But they can now get their money back from the teams on games lost to date, or they can leave it with the team gaining interest that can be applied to future season seats. Which is what most are doing.
If you really want to have some fun, do this in front of the NBA league offices. Or the union offices. Both are in New York (again, outside Smith’s district). Why MSG?
Yes, we’re all ticked right now. But this is about as helpful as challenging Michael Jordan to a game of one-on-one to end the lockout.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18