Nov 22, 2011, 8:31 PM EST
It was only a matter of time before a politician somewhere (we like to imagine in a smoke-filled backroom) said “how can I gain some points with my constituents around the NBA lockout?”
Meet New York State Senator Malcolm A. Smith — who represents a rather gerrymandered looking district that includes parts of Hollis, Queens and more — who is putting up a petition in front of Madison Square Garden (not in his district) tomorrow for season ticket holders to sign and ask for a full refund of their full season ticket money. He’s bringing restaurant and bar owners losing money due to the lockout together to complain, too. (He should reach out to the guys running escort services, while he’s at it.)
Grandstanding. Look it up in the dictionary and this is exactly the definition.
People who renewed season seats and didn’t see this potential don’t get my pity. It was a risk, they renewed anyway. But they can now get their money back from the teams on games lost to date, or they can leave it with the team gaining interest that can be applied to future season seats. Which is what most are doing.
If you really want to have some fun, do this in front of the NBA league offices. Or the union offices. Both are in New York (again, outside Smith’s district). Why MSG?
Yes, we’re all ticked right now. But this is about as helpful as challenging Michael Jordan to a game of one-on-one to end the lockout.
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 4
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 12
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 33
- The Extra Pass: Chicago’s never-ending story, plus Thursday’s recaps 1
- No stars, no problem: Spurs reserves too much for Warriors in 104-102 win 14
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (68)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (55)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)