Derrick Rose says he is not going to play overseas

Nov 21, 2011, 2:18 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Miami Heat - Game Three Getty Images

That sound you just heard was the collective exhale of Chicago Bulls fans. And Tom Thibodeau.

That’s because over the weekend Derrick Rose, the star and building block of the Chicago Bulls, said he has no plans of going overseas. Here is the quote from the Houston Chronicle, where Rose was over the weekend for a charity game.

“I’m not going anywhere, I’m good,” Rose said. “I’m just trying to stay in a nice place where you never know what will happen, or what can happen, what will happen. Now, I’m trying to keep myself in nice shape, and stay positive. Hopefully, we’ll have a season.”

After what happened to J.R. Smith, a lot of top NBA players have to hesitate when thinking about playing overseas. It’s one thing for a role player who has a limited window to make his money, but for a star like Rose who has a long and lucrative NBA career ahead of him, the risks of heading overseas might be too great.

1. trueballs - Nov 21, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Riveting.

2. bearsstillsuck - Nov 21, 2011 at 3:40 PM

please Kurt, keep updating us with whether or not each player in the nba will or will not play overseas. its very interesting and not in the least bit a complete waste of time.

• florida727 - Nov 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Then why’d you read the story?

Unlike a lot of players, it appears at least Rose is surrounded by / being advised by, people who care about his long-term interests. Easy to grab the low-hanging fruit, the Euro cash, and to send a message to the owners that you have other options. Good to see Rose maintain his commitment to the NBA. Now if only the players would realize they have no leverage and act as the ‘employees’ they are, maybe we can have a season.

3. tucsoncat - Nov 21, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I am done with the NBA. I quit watching pro baseball after they decided that they needed to strike in 1994. I do not miss it and will not miss the NBA. I think the networks should start showing games overseas anyway. It is more of a team game with smaller egos. Adios Derrick Rose.

4. ddrew80 - Nov 21, 2011 at 11:29 PM

He shouldn’t go everyone who signed overseas is a hypocrite. These players ain’t gonna see a fraction of what they make over here so agree 2 a new CBA and stop puttin is fans threw misery

• florida727 - Nov 22, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Almost a coherent post… almost.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches