Nov 21, 2011, 5:59 PM EDT
One of the more popular NBA role players of his era, Cedric Ceballos is in a Phoenix area hospital after suffering a series of small heart attacks.
He is doing well enough to have released this statement.
“I feel blessed and very fortunate to be here today and to have made the decision to go to the hospital and get my symptoms checked out late last night. I ask everyone to keep me in your prayers as I make my journey back to good health. Thank everyone who has called and is concerned. While I want to respond and speak to everyone, I cannot right now, but will be in touch very soon. God bless you.”
Ceballos played 11 seasons in the NBA and was with the Suns for more than half of those. You probably remember him best for winning the 1992 dunk contest blindfolded. Unless you’re a Lakers fan, then you remember the Jet Ski incident.
He remains a part of the Suns organization as the public address announcer at games and does a lot of public appurtenances for the team around the area.
You can send messages to Ceballos through his Web site.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 12
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8