Nov 21, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
It’s the irony of calling the players that come out of Europe soft — the referees over there allow the game to be far more physical.
Current free agent but long-time Jazz big man Andrei Kirilenko is evidence of that as he suffered a broken nose and a concussion when his head slammed into the floor in a weekend game, according to multiple reports. The video of the injury is below, but AK47 is coming over from the weak side for help defense when he goes for a steal, is tangled up with the opposing player and gets knocked to the ground so fast he can’t get his hands out to break the fall.
He is expected to miss two to three games and will wear a mask afterwards to protect his nose, reports Russian hoops journalist Vladimir Spivak.
Kirilenko has been the best NBA player in Europe this season for CSKA Moscow, including being EuroLeague player of the week one week. He is an unrestricted free agent in the NBA.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 24
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 27
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8