Nov 21, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
It’s the irony of calling the players that come out of Europe soft — the referees over there allow the game to be far more physical.
Current free agent but long-time Jazz big man Andrei Kirilenko is evidence of that as he suffered a broken nose and a concussion when his head slammed into the floor in a weekend game, according to multiple reports. The video of the injury is below, but AK47 is coming over from the weak side for help defense when he goes for a steal, is tangled up with the opposing player and gets knocked to the ground so fast he can’t get his hands out to break the fall.
He is expected to miss two to three games and will wear a mask afterwards to protect his nose, reports Russian hoops journalist Vladimir Spivak.
Kirilenko has been the best NBA player in Europe this season for CSKA Moscow, including being EuroLeague player of the week one week. He is an unrestricted free agent in the NBA.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37