Nov 21, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
It’s the irony of calling the players that come out of Europe soft — the referees over there allow the game to be far more physical.
Current free agent but long-time Jazz big man Andrei Kirilenko is evidence of that as he suffered a broken nose and a concussion when his head slammed into the floor in a weekend game, according to multiple reports. The video of the injury is below, but AK47 is coming over from the weak side for help defense when he goes for a steal, is tangled up with the opposing player and gets knocked to the ground so fast he can’t get his hands out to break the fall.
He is expected to miss two to three games and will wear a mask afterwards to protect his nose, reports Russian hoops journalist Vladimir Spivak.
Kirilenko has been the best NBA player in Europe this season for CSKA Moscow, including being EuroLeague player of the week one week. He is an unrestricted free agent in the NBA.
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 7
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 46
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 68
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 34
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8