Nov 21, 2011, 10:07 AM EST
It’s the irony of calling the players that come out of Europe soft — the referees over there allow the game to be far more physical.
Current free agent but long-time Jazz big man Andrei Kirilenko is evidence of that as he suffered a broken nose and a concussion when his head slammed into the floor in a weekend game, according to multiple reports. The video of the injury is below, but AK47 is coming over from the weak side for help defense when he goes for a steal, is tangled up with the opposing player and gets knocked to the ground so fast he can’t get his hands out to break the fall.
He is expected to miss two to three games and will wear a mask afterwards to protect his nose, reports Russian hoops journalist Vladimir Spivak.
Kirilenko has been the best NBA player in Europe this season for CSKA Moscow, including being EuroLeague player of the week one week. He is an unrestricted free agent in the NBA.
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 9
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 8
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 8
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54