Nov 20, 2011, 7:00 PM EST
Besiktas is looking to add to Deron Williams with another NBA star, preferably one who can play in the frontcourt. They’ve targeted a number of players including Luol Deng to join Deron Williams in front of
tens of thousands thousands of people in Istanbul. But one major players says he’s out of consideration, Kevin Love:
Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Love informed Besiktas of Turkey on Sunday that he’s declining their offer to sign with the Istanbul-based club and team up with New Jersey Nets guard Deron Williams.
“I didn’t feel it was the right decision for me at this time,” Love told ESPN.com.
Love, though, said playing abroad if the lockout drags on “is still very much an option” he’s considering.
Love has been enjoying a big summer of having his face all over the place, and may not have wanted to go somewhere as limited from a marketing standpoint as Turkey. Not that Instanbul isn’t a major international city, but if Love’s going to go, he likely wants to get paid absolute top dollar for it, and considering the money already being paid Williams, their budget can’t be that considerable. It also seems like the team is kind of grabbing at random players instead of really formulating a plan, as there are other, bruisier bigs they could have aimed for. But Love’s three-point shooting might have been worth it.
Either way, we’ll have to wait to see where Kevin Love ends up, unless it’s just Minnesota and then we can all be happy because we have a season again.
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 3
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 6
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 2
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 7
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)