Carmelo Anthony trolls league over “Melo Rule”

Nov 20, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Tommy Hilfiger Womens - Backstage - Spring 2012 Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Getty Images

So after Carmelo Anthony hijacked the Nuggets’ season last year and held them hostage until they traded him, and not just anywhere, but specifically to the team he desired, the New York Knicks, the owners… well, they got a little miffed. You’ve been insulted twice by the power of players over the people who pay their contracts, you tend to get a little irritated. So as part of the latest proposal that was chopped down by the players upon which they summarily disbanded their union and filed suit against the league, the owners had proposed a ban on “extend-and-trade” deals. Melo wants to go get his money in New York in free agency? Fine. But you can no longer extend a player using the advantages inherent in such deals and then move him, giving him the best of both worlds. Cake and eat it, etc.

They call it “the Melo Rule.”

And as Alan Hahn of Newsday reports, Melo thinks that’s pretty funny. And he decided to troll them a little bit.

“I’m just glad I can be part of something,” Anthony said last month. “When I’m dead and gone, the Melo Rule will still be here. I’m just excited that they named a rule after me.”

via Newsday|Knicks item.

“Make your petty rules against me, mortals! I shall live on forever and haunt your children’s children’s children with my constant threat of playing where I want to on the contract owed to me by the team that was forced to trade me after a six-month nightmare that brought such dread horrors as ‘Lionel Bienvenue!’ The day is mine!”

Or something.

Or, in other words, “Come at me, bro.”

Today is Day 143 of the NBA Lockout.

1. steviekthr3e - Nov 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Probably the same response I’d give if I had a rule named after me

2. Chris Fiorentino - Nov 20, 2011 at 2:10 PM

They should call it the “Dog Rule” because the player in question, Melo, plays like a dog until he is traded. Yeah, I’m sure that’s something Melo would, and should, be very proud of. Pathetic.

• nikedunks13 - Nov 20, 2011 at 9:22 PM

melo was playing fine until he was traded, he was carrying the nuggets

3. derekjetersmansion - Nov 20, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Wait, so you’re begrudging the idea of a superstar playing with a superstar? I’d rather play with Amar’e than Nene.

• Chris Fiorentino - Nov 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM

If you are talking to me, no I have no problems at all with a guy playing out his contract and then moving teams. However, I do have a problem with a guy playing like a dog and forcing his team to either trade him where he wants or putting up with his BS.

And in the case of the Heat, the only two problems I had were…

1) The Decision and how it was handled.

2) The three guys conspiring 3 years earlier.

Otherwise, they didn’t do anything wrong and just went where they wanted when they were FAs. No problem at all with that,.

• derekjetersmansion - Nov 20, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Denver will be better than the Knicks next season, just so you know. It was more of a win-win than you think.

• derekjetersmansion - Nov 20, 2011 at 3:07 PM

It was a basically a deadline deal with rumormongers saying he didn’t want to play there after his contract was over. It wasn’t that exceptional.

• nikedunks13 - Nov 20, 2011 at 9:24 PM

he didn’t play bad, check his numbers they went up a little but that’s because he was free to play how he wanted in New York, and also he was playing with another good player which is going to get you easier shots, come on man quit crying because the nuggets are garbage now

• david8726 - Nov 20, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I take issue with the claim that the Heat ‘conspired to do this three years earlier.’

To me, that actually seems impossible.

LeBron’s team was very good in Cleveland for the 2 years prior to last summer. In both of those seasons, he was obviously playing his ass off, trying to win a championship. If he wins in either of those seasons, there is no way LeBron leaves Cleveland. He would have stayed there and been King of that city forever.

But obviously he came up short, which gave him the excuse to change teams.

So yes, I think it’s possible that Bosh, Wade, and Bron might have talked about joining up in conversation. But there is nothing wrong with just talking about something in passing. They’re human, of course it would come up in conversation.

I don’t believe that definitive plans were laid to make that happen, though.

• rreducla1 - Nov 20, 2011 at 11:38 PM

This post is better than your posts generally are, but “conspiring”, like “trolls”, is a dumb word to use in this context (although Moore’s word choice is more accurate than yours is).

Like most of the ownerfanboys, your views on the lockout are based on emotions.

• deadeyedesign23 - Nov 21, 2011 at 12:03 AM

I don’t know that he played like a dog. His per game averages are all pretty much exactly in line with the rest of his career. Though I live on the east coast so I’m not watching many Nuggets game so maybe it’s just not showing up in the stats.

• Taylor Armosino - Nov 20, 2011 at 4:40 PM

how can denver be better than the knicks when wilson chandler, JR smith and kenyon martin are stuck in china for the season if there is a season? and how will they be better if you were referring to the 2012 season? Knicks will have Chris Paul and Denver will have what?

• nikedunks13 - Nov 20, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Denver is going to be bad

• rreducla1 - Nov 20, 2011 at 11:43 PM

The Knicks don’t have Paul yet.

Also, Denver got very fair, perhaps excessive, value for Anthony, and after the deal was made, Denver fans were in general far happier with their team than New York fans were with theirs. This, like so many pertinent facts, is generally overlooked in lockout talk.

Denver’s issue is that they have two key FAs: Nene and Afflalo. JR Smith would be something of a loss as well. Martin is aging, a little banged up, and not that big of a deal.

4. aqzi - Nov 20, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Matt, please don’t use troll in your articles. Good lockout article otherwise, just bothers me when I have to look up some new slang word.

5. goforthanddie - Nov 20, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I’m offended they’d name the rule after him. He just isn’t all that (do people still say that?)

6. barklikeadog - Nov 20, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Loser!

7. alexb64 - Nov 20, 2011 at 7:04 PM

PBT has had the best coverage of this circus simply because, IMO, they don’t have a dog in the race aside from generally being an NBA fan & covering the league. Not this specific rule per say, but the idea associated to it is very important to me as a fan. The NBA needs to show me, as a small market fan that they’re concerned with selling this game to fans in every city & not just expecting us to all ooh & aww over The Heat, Knicks, Celtics & Lakers. I do worry about that becoming the league, with every “franchise player” getting sick of losing (or in Lebron & Dwight Howard’s case not feeling that perennially contending is still losing, somehow) & joining the dream teams. I worry about my favorite team having to exist almost only to have the privilege of hosting those teams as visitors on select dates through the season. Durant is the exception to the rule, he is satisfied with how that team is building & how close they’ve gotten to playing for a championship. He is the exception because the rest of the league’s so-called superstars would much rather just turn the league into a real-life video game franchise mode where you turn off the cap, stack your roster & simulate every game until you “win” the championship. I liked what Charles Barkley said once, that the league took a turn for the worse when players stopped having to earn the status of “superstar” & instead it was determined by the ever rising salaries they were handed before they ever even stepped on an NBA court.

I remember what Tyson Chandler said about how he was worried a tighter cap would hurt Dallas’ chances at retaining “role players” (whom would be starters on most teams) & hurt their chances at competing with the likes of the Lakers & Heat. I think that’s a terribly half-brained concept, because correct me if I’m wrong if such a cap situation existed they wouldn’t NEED to stack their bench so badly because The Lakers would have to be just as calculating & careful in how they build their bench. People act like The Heat & Lakers will still be able to just keep collecting dream team members & the rest of the league will be the only one’s having to worry about the cap. The cases like Dwight & LeBron are the ones that bother & worry me most as a fan, because their respective franchises are what I’d hope my favorite team could be, & they still weren’t/aren’t satisfied with that…yeah Orlando crapped the bed with the Vince Carter & the Arenas deal but Dwight can’t honestly expect people to believe Orlando isn’t trying like hell to win. Like I said, and they’re in way better shape than a team like mine, The Hornets. I worry that if money & contending status isn’t enough to keep Dwight Howard in Orlando, money (which is all some teams really can offer while they try desperately to find the pieces to surround them with) what chance does my team have to keep Paul, or the #1 pick that eventually replaces him? I could understand if Orlando 7 Cleveland were perennial 8th seeds or basement dwellers, but they’re not. They are/were competing in the top 3 every season. If the team can’t get it even close to right by the time their star’s deal is up, that’s an understandable situation, unfortunate as it may be to the fans left behind. Just, stuff like Dwight & LeBron scares me as a fan. It is harder to find these guys in the NBA, the NFL teams can turn it around with the right GM. In the NBA even the brightest GM’s can only do their best to try to scout these kids, some of them playing as little as 1 season of college ball & rolling the dice and hoping for the best. It is scary to think you can strike gold in the draft lottery, build a great team & STILL lose your franchise star because he wants an easier road, or a one in a bigger market.

• entropy13 - Nov 20, 2011 at 11:19 PM

IIRC in the short term at least the Lakers have more players tied down to contracts more than 3 years long than the Mavs, while the Heat would only be losing “extra bodies” to free agency.

In our case, the only players that would be left if you count the contracts that won’t be expiring in 2011, 2012 and 2013 are Dirk, Beaubois, Haywood and Corey Brewer.

Chandler, Cardinal, Stevenson, Stojakovic, Butler, Barea this year, Marion, Kidd, Terry next year, Jones, Mahinmi the year after that.

8. 10of14 - Nov 20, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Ok, tried to use Thea word that describes far left leaning democrats and my comment, though VERY tame was denied. Carmelo is a very, very, very left leaning idiot…

• nikedunks13 - Nov 20, 2011 at 9:26 PM

well at least he’s good at basketball right?

9. asublimeday - Nov 21, 2011 at 1:47 AM

I would pay 10 bucks to watch carmello sound his way through a third grade-level book.

• goforthanddie - Nov 21, 2011 at 3:56 AM

You’d get change back.

10. asublimeday - Nov 21, 2011 at 1:50 AM

And in the case of the Heat, the only two problems I had were…

1) The Decision and how it was handled.

2) The three guys conspiring 3 years earlier.

——-

So, other than those two massive problems, everything was cool?

11. 1historian - Nov 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM

once a punk – always a punk

10 years after retirement

once a punk – always a punk

good luck, punk

12. govtminion - Nov 21, 2011 at 6:19 PM

The Denver Nuggets, and the city of Denver in general, are richer for not having this ridiculous clown still around. Sucks to be New York.

How Cleveland was fit for a King