Nov 20, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
So after Carmelo Anthony hijacked the Nuggets’ season last year and held them hostage until they traded him, and not just anywhere, but specifically to the team he desired, the New York Knicks, the owners… well, they got a little miffed. You’ve been insulted twice by the power of players over the people who pay their contracts, you tend to get a little irritated. So as part of the latest proposal that was chopped down by the players upon which they summarily disbanded their union and filed suit against the league, the owners had proposed a ban on “extend-and-trade” deals. Melo wants to go get his money in New York in free agency? Fine. But you can no longer extend a player using the advantages inherent in such deals and then move him, giving him the best of both worlds. Cake and eat it, etc.
They call it “the Melo Rule.”
And as Alan Hahn of Newsday reports, Melo thinks that’s pretty funny. And he decided to troll them a little bit.
“I’m just glad I can be part of something,” Anthony said last month. “When I’m dead and gone, the Melo Rule will still be here. I’m just excited that they named a rule after me.”
via Newsday|Knicks item.
“Make your petty rules against me, mortals! I shall live on forever and haunt your children’s children’s children with my constant threat of playing where I want to on the contract owed to me by the team that was forced to trade me after a six-month nightmare that brought such dread horrors as ‘Lionel Bienvenue!’ The day is mine!”
Or, in other words, “Come at me, bro.”
Today is Day 143 of the NBA Lockout.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11