Nov 19, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Basketball involves contact, but it’s not a contact sport. There’s no protection for the head outside of mouth guards, no real protection for other parts of the body. And sometimes, scary, freak things happen. Like this to Andrei Kirilenko in his game with CSKA Moscow this week.
In the video, Kirilenko goes baseline, catches a hand or forearm to the head, and lands head-first on the floor. He’s immediately got blood from his head. He was later diagnosed with a concussion. Oh, yeah, and he broke his nose. Gross. Kirilenko will be okay, thank goodness, but a scary moment for Kirilenko and Jazz fans hoping he returns next season in free agency.
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 5
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 5
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 22
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 63
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82