Nov 19, 2011, 5:30 PM EST
Basketball involves contact, but it’s not a contact sport. There’s no protection for the head outside of mouth guards, no real protection for other parts of the body. And sometimes, scary, freak things happen. Like this to Andrei Kirilenko in his game with CSKA Moscow this week.
In the video, Kirilenko goes baseline, catches a hand or forearm to the head, and lands head-first on the floor. He’s immediately got blood from his head. He was later diagnosed with a concussion. Oh, yeah, and he broke his nose. Gross. Kirilenko will be okay, thank goodness, but a scary moment for Kirilenko and Jazz fans hoping he returns next season in free agency.
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 8
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 5
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 25
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 13
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (50)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)