Nov 19, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Basketball involves contact, but it’s not a contact sport. There’s no protection for the head outside of mouth guards, no real protection for other parts of the body. And sometimes, scary, freak things happen. Like this to Andrei Kirilenko in his game with CSKA Moscow this week.
In the video, Kirilenko goes baseline, catches a hand or forearm to the head, and lands head-first on the floor. He’s immediately got blood from his head. He was later diagnosed with a concussion. Oh, yeah, and he broke his nose. Gross. Kirilenko will be okay, thank goodness, but a scary moment for Kirilenko and Jazz fans hoping he returns next season in free agency.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 10
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 23
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 56
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 49
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65