Nov 19, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Basketball involves contact, but it’s not a contact sport. There’s no protection for the head outside of mouth guards, no real protection for other parts of the body. And sometimes, scary, freak things happen. Like this to Andrei Kirilenko in his game with CSKA Moscow this week.
In the video, Kirilenko goes baseline, catches a hand or forearm to the head, and lands head-first on the floor. He’s immediately got blood from his head. He was later diagnosed with a concussion. Oh, yeah, and he broke his nose. Gross. Kirilenko will be okay, thank goodness, but a scary moment for Kirilenko and Jazz fans hoping he returns next season in free agency.
- Timberwolves’ coach Rick Adelman announcenes retirement 7
- Knicks fire Mike Woodson 28
- Monday NBA playoff previews: Expect a different looking Clippers/Warriors game. 0
- Sunday NBA grades: Nene, Aldridge lead day where big men shine 5
- LaMarcus Aldridge’s Trail Blazers claw back for Game 1 win over Houston Rockets 17