Nov 19, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
When Kendrick Perkins was traded, the Celtics took it hard, each of them. The championship run and subsequent season had forged a tight bond with the players. They weren’t just teammates, they were family. And Danny Ainge essentially decided that their brother was not worth the money to keep him in the family. Harsh. But one guy took it harder than the others. Rajon Rondo and Perkins were closest, due to their age having been similar and going through all the dramatic ups and downs together.
But since there are no Celtics, not in the basketball-playing sense, there’s no reason they can’t get back together for more wacky adventures! It’s like a sitcom for kids, only with more unhappy stares and freakishly long fingers. From Yahoo! Sports:
Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo and Oklahoma City Thunder center Kendrick Perkins, close friends, have been discussing the possibility of playing together overseas, and have had representatives inquiring on the possibilities, sources said.
Rondo and Perkins are interested in playing in higher-paying countries, such as Italy, Spain and Russia, sources said. There’s no deal in the works, and it’s unclear if there’s even a team that could financially put together the kind of contracts it would take to lure the players.
They should rent bikes to tour Rome. Seriously. I will give good money to see Rondo and Perkins on one of those two-seat bikes in Rome. At least $45 dollars. Minimum. They should backpack! They can backpack between games, stay in hostels, do all the things crazy college kids do. That way, maybe when they’re done they won’t be so sad about the trade. If Celtics fans want to see the old Celtics back together again, they just have to find a European feed to pirate and they’re on their way. Guess the lockout isn’t all bad.
(Note: The lockout is all bad.)
(HT: Reds Army)
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30