Nov 19, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
When Kendrick Perkins was traded, the Celtics took it hard, each of them. The championship run and subsequent season had forged a tight bond with the players. They weren’t just teammates, they were family. And Danny Ainge essentially decided that their brother was not worth the money to keep him in the family. Harsh. But one guy took it harder than the others. Rajon Rondo and Perkins were closest, due to their age having been similar and going through all the dramatic ups and downs together.
But since there are no Celtics, not in the basketball-playing sense, there’s no reason they can’t get back together for more wacky adventures! It’s like a sitcom for kids, only with more unhappy stares and freakishly long fingers. From Yahoo! Sports:
Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo and Oklahoma City Thunder center Kendrick Perkins, close friends, have been discussing the possibility of playing together overseas, and have had representatives inquiring on the possibilities, sources said.
Rondo and Perkins are interested in playing in higher-paying countries, such as Italy, Spain and Russia, sources said. There’s no deal in the works, and it’s unclear if there’s even a team that could financially put together the kind of contracts it would take to lure the players.
They should rent bikes to tour Rome. Seriously. I will give good money to see Rondo and Perkins on one of those two-seat bikes in Rome. At least $45 dollars. Minimum. They should backpack! They can backpack between games, stay in hostels, do all the things crazy college kids do. That way, maybe when they’re done they won’t be so sad about the trade. If Celtics fans want to see the old Celtics back together again, they just have to find a European feed to pirate and they’re on their way. Guess the lockout isn’t all bad.
(Note: The lockout is all bad.)
(HT: Reds Army)
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 14
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 16
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17