Nov 19, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
When Kendrick Perkins was traded, the Celtics took it hard, each of them. The championship run and subsequent season had forged a tight bond with the players. They weren’t just teammates, they were family. And Danny Ainge essentially decided that their brother was not worth the money to keep him in the family. Harsh. But one guy took it harder than the others. Rajon Rondo and Perkins were closest, due to their age having been similar and going through all the dramatic ups and downs together.
But since there are no Celtics, not in the basketball-playing sense, there’s no reason they can’t get back together for more wacky adventures! It’s like a sitcom for kids, only with more unhappy stares and freakishly long fingers. From Yahoo! Sports:
Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo and Oklahoma City Thunder center Kendrick Perkins, close friends, have been discussing the possibility of playing together overseas, and have had representatives inquiring on the possibilities, sources said.
Rondo and Perkins are interested in playing in higher-paying countries, such as Italy, Spain and Russia, sources said. There’s no deal in the works, and it’s unclear if there’s even a team that could financially put together the kind of contracts it would take to lure the players.
They should rent bikes to tour Rome. Seriously. I will give good money to see Rondo and Perkins on one of those two-seat bikes in Rome. At least $45 dollars. Minimum. They should backpack! They can backpack between games, stay in hostels, do all the things crazy college kids do. That way, maybe when they’re done they won’t be so sad about the trade. If Celtics fans want to see the old Celtics back together again, they just have to find a European feed to pirate and they’re on their way. Guess the lockout isn’t all bad.
(Note: The lockout is all bad.)
(HT: Reds Army)
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40