Nov 19, 2011, 8:00 PM EST
Dirk Nowitzki has been pretty optimistic, and also pretty quiet during the lockout. He’s going to get any offer he wants overseas, or at least as good a deal as he can reasonably expect, but he’s been holding out hope like the rest of us that the two sides will get their collective heads out of their collective backsides and get a season so Dirk can have an encore to his championship, MVP-worthy run. But since the reality is getting closer and closer that’s not going to happen, he’s having to face reality. ESPN spoke with him, and he’s starting to get in shape so he can start evaluating teams to join. From ESPN:
The reigning NBA Finals MVP recently returned to Germany to resume his customary workout routine with longtime shot doctor Holger Geschwindner and told ESPN.com on Saturday that hes going to find a team in Europe “soon” with the NBA lockout well into its fifth month without a settlement.
Nowitzki”Its going to take me a few weeks to get in basketball shape,” Nowitzki said, “but then Im ready. I cant stand not playing.”
Nowitzki says that both Real Madrid and Barcelona in Spain interest him, and has decided that one of three German teams will also be on the list, out of a desire to help with the nation’s fostering of the sport, now and when he’s gone.
So there you go. The Finals MVP may be playing somewhere else this season. Are you happy, NBA owners and players and really everyone? Look what you’ve done!
/cries into a bottle while listening to the Cure
If Nowitzki does go to either of the Spanish teams, they’re going to have quite a bit of NBA talent.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 50
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7