Nov 19, 2011, 8:00 PM EDT
Dirk Nowitzki has been pretty optimistic, and also pretty quiet during the lockout. He’s going to get any offer he wants overseas, or at least as good a deal as he can reasonably expect, but he’s been holding out hope like the rest of us that the two sides will get their collective heads out of their collective backsides and get a season so Dirk can have an encore to his championship, MVP-worthy run. But since the reality is getting closer and closer that’s not going to happen, he’s having to face reality. ESPN spoke with him, and he’s starting to get in shape so he can start evaluating teams to join. From ESPN:
The reigning NBA Finals MVP recently returned to Germany to resume his customary workout routine with longtime shot doctor Holger Geschwindner and told ESPN.com on Saturday that hes going to find a team in Europe “soon” with the NBA lockout well into its fifth month without a settlement.
Nowitzki”Its going to take me a few weeks to get in basketball shape,” Nowitzki said, “but then Im ready. I cant stand not playing.”
Nowitzki says that both Real Madrid and Barcelona in Spain interest him, and has decided that one of three German teams will also be on the list, out of a desire to help with the nation’s fostering of the sport, now and when he’s gone.
So there you go. The Finals MVP may be playing somewhere else this season. Are you happy, NBA owners and players and really everyone? Look what you’ve done!
/cries into a bottle while listening to the Cure
If Nowitzki does go to either of the Spanish teams, they’re going to have quite a bit of NBA talent.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31