Nov 18, 2011, 9:14 AM EDT
Most NBA players idolize Michael Jordan. They grew up watching him play, they wear his shoes, they practiced dunks sticking out their tongues — they want to be like Mike.
Jordan has been one of the hardline NBA owners who has driven us to the brink of no NBA season. Jordan is one of the guys that thought David Stern went too far with that 50/50 offer, Jordan is one of the guys who wants to break the union. That has led to Pacers swingman Danny Granger and rookie to be Klay Thompson calling Jordan a hypocrite, Stephon Marbury and Metta World Peace taking swings at Jordan, and the Wizards’ Nick Young tweeting he would never wear Jordan’s shoes again.
Dwyane Wade won’t go that far.
Wade is one of the big ambassadors — and gets big checks — from the Nike Jordan brand. And he told Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel he still loves those
checks Air Jordan shoes.
“I really didn’t need to get involved in all that,” Wade said. “Obviously I wear a different hat than certain other guys that got involved in it. And I stay away from it. I have an obligation and I have a job to do and I’m going to do my job….
“That’s on Nick Young,” Wade said. “That’s his moment. Obviously, that’s his own choice and decision and, you know, that’s something he’s going to have to deal with. I can’t let that affect me. I have my own things to run, my own stuff to think about what I’m doing with my own shoes.”
Translation: “I like to get paid.”
Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just own it.
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under two hours, players barely notice 0
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 9
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 6
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 30
- Suns coach Hornacek says shortening games won’t help teams rest their stars 2
- Lakers coach Byron Scott’s philosophy on three-pointers: ‘I don’t believe it wins championships’ 33
- Accounting for Klay Thompson choosing a contract extension over new-TV-deal money 2
- Kobe Bryant calls ESPN voters who ranked him No. 40 ‘idiots’ 34