Nov 17, 2011, 11:25 AM EDT
Shaquille O’Neal may be an NBA legend, a television personality, social media star and now published author, it doesn’t matter. For some New York clubs you don’t dress up, you don’t get in. Period.
TMZ has learned … Shaq rolled up to nightclub/restaurant Mars 2112 on Saturday night wearing jeans, a sweatshirt, tennis shoes and a beanie… But according to the club promoter, Mike Mogul, Shaq’s attire wasn’t up to club standards … so security politely informed the retired NBA star that he would not be allowed inside.
Sources at the club tell us Shaq calmly replied, “Are you serious?” … then shrugged his shoulders and walked down the street to another place that welcomed The Diesel with open arms.
I’m no club promoter or expert on New York nightlife, but you know what might help create a buzz about your club more than a strict dress code? Having Shaquille O’Neal seen in your club, and him tweeting about it. No matter what he was wearing.
The guy I feel bad for is the security guard, who is used to being the biggest guy on the block, having to walk up to Shaq, look up six to eight inches (giving up a hundred pounds) and deliver the news.
Please… end the lockout. I’d like to start writing about basketball again.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7