Nov 17, 2011, 11:25 AM EDT
Shaquille O’Neal may be an NBA legend, a television personality, social media star and now published author, it doesn’t matter. For some New York clubs you don’t dress up, you don’t get in. Period.
TMZ has learned … Shaq rolled up to nightclub/restaurant Mars 2112 on Saturday night wearing jeans, a sweatshirt, tennis shoes and a beanie… But according to the club promoter, Mike Mogul, Shaq’s attire wasn’t up to club standards … so security politely informed the retired NBA star that he would not be allowed inside.
Sources at the club tell us Shaq calmly replied, “Are you serious?” … then shrugged his shoulders and walked down the street to another place that welcomed The Diesel with open arms.
I’m no club promoter or expert on New York nightlife, but you know what might help create a buzz about your club more than a strict dress code? Having Shaquille O’Neal seen in your club, and him tweeting about it. No matter what he was wearing.
The guy I feel bad for is the security guard, who is used to being the biggest guy on the block, having to walk up to Shaq, look up six to eight inches (giving up a hundred pounds) and deliver the news.
Please… end the lockout. I’d like to start writing about basketball again.
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 3
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 9
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16