Nov 17, 2011, 11:25 AM EST
Shaquille O’Neal may be an NBA legend, a television personality, social media star and now published author, it doesn’t matter. For some New York clubs you don’t dress up, you don’t get in. Period.
TMZ has learned … Shaq rolled up to nightclub/restaurant Mars 2112 on Saturday night wearing jeans, a sweatshirt, tennis shoes and a beanie… But according to the club promoter, Mike Mogul, Shaq’s attire wasn’t up to club standards … so security politely informed the retired NBA star that he would not be allowed inside.
Sources at the club tell us Shaq calmly replied, “Are you serious?” … then shrugged his shoulders and walked down the street to another place that welcomed The Diesel with open arms.
I’m no club promoter or expert on New York nightlife, but you know what might help create a buzz about your club more than a strict dress code? Having Shaquille O’Neal seen in your club, and him tweeting about it. No matter what he was wearing.
The guy I feel bad for is the security guard, who is used to being the biggest guy on the block, having to walk up to Shaq, look up six to eight inches (giving up a hundred pounds) and deliver the news.
Please… end the lockout. I’d like to start writing about basketball again.
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 2
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 20
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 16
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42