Nov 17, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
Thanks to the NBA lockout and the dearth of new news, let’s talk about the Shaquille O’Neal vs. Kobe Bryant feud that is almost a decade old again….
A few weeks back we told you about the parts of Shaq’s new book where he gave his account of his fights with Kobe and, how after Phil Jackson asked them to stop pissing on each other in the media and Kobe then did an interview with Jim Gray, Shaq threatened to kill him.
But, you know, that’s just a figure of speech.
“That [threat] happened back then,” O’Neal said. “It’s well-documented. It’s like an Ebonics statement. I’ve wanted to kill you many times, Stephen A. But we’re still cool….
“Leadership styles vary when you’re dealing with tasks or relationships,” O’Neal said. “I was more task-oriented. With me being the leader of the team, me being the CEO, everything had to go my way. Sometimes when you focus on the tasks, the relationship dwindles. It was all a respect thing. The task was completed. We won three out of four, we were the most dominant, most controversial duo ever created. That’s all that matters.”
While one could suggest that Shaq was trying to settle some old scores and smack Kobe for how everything went down, Shaq said that was not the case.
“I’m a businessman, I don’t take anything personal,” O’Neal claimed. “A lot of the stuff was you [media] guys trying to get in. He’d say something to one guy and he’d write it. I’d say something to another guy, they’d write it. At times it was fun for me. You have to understand one thing about me, I always knew what I was doing. Everything I do has always been calculated.”
There is something about teams that fight off the field or court and still win on it we find fascinating as a sports culture. Billy Martin’s Oakland A’s… or his Yankees, or pretty much anywhere he went. Now it’s Shaq and Kobe. There have been others, there will be more, but it’s interesting that we are drawn to it.
As for Kobe and Shaq: Not to go all Dave Mason on you but there ain’t no good guy, there ain’t no bad guy…
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 9
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 7
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 24
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games