Even David Beckham is ticked about NBA lockout

Nov 17, 2011, 8:42 AM EDT

David Beckham at Lakers Getty Images

That’s it. Even past-their-prime-but-can’t-retire guys from England are ticked about the NBA lockout. That’s when you know it’s gone too far.

David Beckham, a court side seat regular at Staples Center for Lakers games, is angry about the lockout. Becks (I can call him that, we’re tight) was on ESPN radio in Los Angeles and said this (hat tip to our man Beto Duran).

“As a fan, its’ killing me because I love the game and I love watching these athletes, I think they’re such great athletes. It’s killing me because I love the spectacle of going to the Lakers and watching the guys play.”

The spectacle of going to the Lakers. That really sums it up for so many of the people close to the floor at Lakers games. Spectacle. (There are real, passionate Lakers fans in LA, they just have to sit above the luxury boxes in the 300s. It’s a law.)

Hopefully this sadness will not dull Beckham’s senses when he and the Galaxy try to win the MLS Cup on Sunday.

Actually, I shouldn’t mock Becks. At this point I’d take the spectacle of a Lakers game, really any game, just to get the NBA back.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:16 AM

You shouldn’t mock Beckham. He is still really good. It’s like saying that Steve Nash can’t retire.The legs have gone a bit and he isn’t a world class player anymore, but make no mistake if he were American, he’d be starting every game for the men’s national team. The one thing Beckham has always been able to do, which pretty much defined his value is put the ball wherever he wants….he can still do that.

• Kurt Helin - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I have seen Beckham three times this season in person, and the man can still cross the ball with the best of him. But dude is past his prime.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Oh yeah, he is definitely past his prime but the ability to cross the ball and his pinpoint accuracy on set pieces makes him an extremely valuable player. He couldn’t be an everyday starter on a top team in a top league but he would be an exceptional player in 20-30 minutes increments.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Who?

3. rogerwolverine - Nov 17, 2011 at 2:36 PM

This is newsworthy why? You’ve got a basically washed-up soccer player who has one skill. And we feel it newsworthy that he’s upset about the NBA lockout? This is sports bloggers trying to make their paycheck for a day. Silly waste of my time for reading about this, or blogging about this. Maybe I can start to get paid for making random silly statements about sports.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches