Nov 17, 2011, 6:11 PM EST
When the first rumors came out this week about European powerhouse Real Madrid being interested in Dwight Howard, we were skeptical. Howard had expressed no interest in going to Europe, but would that change with the NBA season looking like it was toast?
No, not really.
Howard talked to the Orlando Sentinel about a few issues but said playing overseas was not on his radar.
“I doubt it,” Howard said. “There’s some other things that I really would love to get involved with: do some more stuff in the community and just become a better person [and] spend some more time with my kids.”
Howard also didn’t want to talk about himself playing anywhere but Orlando. He danced around that question.
“Well, that’s 2012,” he said. “Everybody’s worrying about the wrong stuff. I didn’t come here today wanting to discuss where I’m going to be next year. At that point, it really doesn’t matter.
“The biggest thing for me is taking advantage of every opportunity that I have in front of me, and that’s how anybody should look at it. I’m 25 and I have a full life ahead of me, God-willing, and I have to do what’s best for me, and that’s it.”
A lost NBA season would make things interesting in Orlando. Howard would have a decision to make without the benefit of seeing how Orlando could tweak the roster, and he’d have to give up a lot of money to leave. Orlando’s a good city with a great fan base. But is all of that enough?
Who knows? That’s 2012. Right now we’re all worrying about the wrong stuff.
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 1
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 1
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)