Nov 17, 2011, 6:11 PM EST
When the first rumors came out this week about European powerhouse Real Madrid being interested in Dwight Howard, we were skeptical. Howard had expressed no interest in going to Europe, but would that change with the NBA season looking like it was toast?
No, not really.
Howard talked to the Orlando Sentinel about a few issues but said playing overseas was not on his radar.
“I doubt it,” Howard said. “There’s some other things that I really would love to get involved with: do some more stuff in the community and just become a better person [and] spend some more time with my kids.”
Howard also didn’t want to talk about himself playing anywhere but Orlando. He danced around that question.
“Well, that’s 2012,” he said. “Everybody’s worrying about the wrong stuff. I didn’t come here today wanting to discuss where I’m going to be next year. At that point, it really doesn’t matter.
“The biggest thing for me is taking advantage of every opportunity that I have in front of me, and that’s how anybody should look at it. I’m 25 and I have a full life ahead of me, God-willing, and I have to do what’s best for me, and that’s it.”
A lost NBA season would make things interesting in Orlando. Howard would have a decision to make without the benefit of seeing how Orlando could tweak the roster, and he’d have to give up a lot of money to leave. Orlando’s a good city with a great fan base. But is all of that enough?
Who knows? That’s 2012. Right now we’re all worrying about the wrong stuff.
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 15
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2