Nov 17, 2011, 6:11 PM EDT
When the first rumors came out this week about European powerhouse Real Madrid being interested in Dwight Howard, we were skeptical. Howard had expressed no interest in going to Europe, but would that change with the NBA season looking like it was toast?
No, not really.
Howard talked to the Orlando Sentinel about a few issues but said playing overseas was not on his radar.
“I doubt it,” Howard said. “There’s some other things that I really would love to get involved with: do some more stuff in the community and just become a better person [and] spend some more time with my kids.”
Howard also didn’t want to talk about himself playing anywhere but Orlando. He danced around that question.
“Well, that’s 2012,” he said. “Everybody’s worrying about the wrong stuff. I didn’t come here today wanting to discuss where I’m going to be next year. At that point, it really doesn’t matter.
“The biggest thing for me is taking advantage of every opportunity that I have in front of me, and that’s how anybody should look at it. I’m 25 and I have a full life ahead of me, God-willing, and I have to do what’s best for me, and that’s it.”
A lost NBA season would make things interesting in Orlando. Howard would have a decision to make without the benefit of seeing how Orlando could tweak the roster, and he’d have to give up a lot of money to leave. Orlando’s a good city with a great fan base. But is all of that enough?
Who knows? That’s 2012. Right now we’re all worrying about the wrong stuff.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5