Nov 17, 2011, 6:11 PM EDT
When the first rumors came out this week about European powerhouse Real Madrid being interested in Dwight Howard, we were skeptical. Howard had expressed no interest in going to Europe, but would that change with the NBA season looking like it was toast?
No, not really.
Howard talked to the Orlando Sentinel about a few issues but said playing overseas was not on his radar.
“I doubt it,” Howard said. “There’s some other things that I really would love to get involved with: do some more stuff in the community and just become a better person [and] spend some more time with my kids.”
Howard also didn’t want to talk about himself playing anywhere but Orlando. He danced around that question.
“Well, that’s 2012,” he said. “Everybody’s worrying about the wrong stuff. I didn’t come here today wanting to discuss where I’m going to be next year. At that point, it really doesn’t matter.
“The biggest thing for me is taking advantage of every opportunity that I have in front of me, and that’s how anybody should look at it. I’m 25 and I have a full life ahead of me, God-willing, and I have to do what’s best for me, and that’s it.”
A lost NBA season would make things interesting in Orlando. Howard would have a decision to make without the benefit of seeing how Orlando could tweak the roster, and he’d have to give up a lot of money to leave. Orlando’s a good city with a great fan base. But is all of that enough?
Who knows? That’s 2012. Right now we’re all worrying about the wrong stuff.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 19
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 17
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80