Nov 17, 2011, 6:11 PM EDT
When the first rumors came out this week about European powerhouse Real Madrid being interested in Dwight Howard, we were skeptical. Howard had expressed no interest in going to Europe, but would that change with the NBA season looking like it was toast?
No, not really.
Howard talked to the Orlando Sentinel about a few issues but said playing overseas was not on his radar.
“I doubt it,” Howard said. “There’s some other things that I really would love to get involved with: do some more stuff in the community and just become a better person [and] spend some more time with my kids.”
Howard also didn’t want to talk about himself playing anywhere but Orlando. He danced around that question.
“Well, that’s 2012,” he said. “Everybody’s worrying about the wrong stuff. I didn’t come here today wanting to discuss where I’m going to be next year. At that point, it really doesn’t matter.
“The biggest thing for me is taking advantage of every opportunity that I have in front of me, and that’s how anybody should look at it. I’m 25 and I have a full life ahead of me, God-willing, and I have to do what’s best for me, and that’s it.”
A lost NBA season would make things interesting in Orlando. Howard would have a decision to make without the benefit of seeing how Orlando could tweak the roster, and he’d have to give up a lot of money to leave. Orlando’s a good city with a great fan base. But is all of that enough?
Who knows? That’s 2012. Right now we’re all worrying about the wrong stuff.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1