Nov 16, 2011, 12:15 PM EST
Let’s be clear at the start — none of the NBA (or NFL) players at the club were involved in the incident. They were not tied to the shooter, they were not the targets. This is a case of wrong place, wrong time.
But a few NBA stars including John Wall and Russell Westbrook — as well as five New York Giants players and other celebrities — were in a New York Club where a gunman opened fire killing one person and injuring others Tuesday night, reports the New York Daily News.
The gunman, clad in a white leather jacket, crashed the crowded party at the Juliet Supper Club on W. 21st St. by squeezing off five shots shortly before 2:30 a.m., police said….
In Tuesday’s bloodshed, the killer is thought to have fired the shots in a bid to get even after a woman was bumped on the dance floor — but her relationship to the gunman was not clear, the sources said.
NBA players in the club included Wall, Westbrook, Carlos Boozer and Chris Duhon. The Times reported that recently drafted (but not yet signed) Kemba Walker was there, something Walker himself denied saying he was not even in New York.
Wall tweeted later that he was uninjured and didn’t see anything, which is what Duhon told ESPN.
Also in the club were Reese Witherspoon and husband Ryan Phillippe, as well as singer Estelle and a number of NFL players. None of these people were tied to the shooting, which was another random act of madness.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 2
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 29
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (57)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)