Nov 16, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT
Let’s be clear at the start — none of the NBA (or NFL) players at the club were involved in the incident. They were not tied to the shooter, they were not the targets. This is a case of wrong place, wrong time.
But a few NBA stars including John Wall and Russell Westbrook — as well as five New York Giants players and other celebrities — were in a New York Club where a gunman opened fire killing one person and injuring others Tuesday night, reports the New York Daily News.
The gunman, clad in a white leather jacket, crashed the crowded party at the Juliet Supper Club on W. 21st St. by squeezing off five shots shortly before 2:30 a.m., police said….
In Tuesday’s bloodshed, the killer is thought to have fired the shots in a bid to get even after a woman was bumped on the dance floor — but her relationship to the gunman was not clear, the sources said.
NBA players in the club included Wall, Westbrook, Carlos Boozer and Chris Duhon. The Times reported that recently drafted (but not yet signed) Kemba Walker was there, something Walker himself denied saying he was not even in New York.
Wall tweeted later that he was uninjured and didn’t see anything, which is what Duhon told ESPN.
Also in the club were Reese Witherspoon and husband Ryan Phillippe, as well as singer Estelle and a number of NFL players. None of these people were tied to the shooting, which was another random act of madness.
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 2
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 12
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 7
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 12
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 38
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 45
- NBA Opening Night Winners/Losers: Big nights for The Beard and The Brow 27