Nov 16, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT
Let’s be clear at the start — none of the NBA (or NFL) players at the club were involved in the incident. They were not tied to the shooter, they were not the targets. This is a case of wrong place, wrong time.
But a few NBA stars including John Wall and Russell Westbrook — as well as five New York Giants players and other celebrities — were in a New York Club where a gunman opened fire killing one person and injuring others Tuesday night, reports the New York Daily News.
The gunman, clad in a white leather jacket, crashed the crowded party at the Juliet Supper Club on W. 21st St. by squeezing off five shots shortly before 2:30 a.m., police said….
In Tuesday’s bloodshed, the killer is thought to have fired the shots in a bid to get even after a woman was bumped on the dance floor — but her relationship to the gunman was not clear, the sources said.
NBA players in the club included Wall, Westbrook, Carlos Boozer and Chris Duhon. The Times reported that recently drafted (but not yet signed) Kemba Walker was there, something Walker himself denied saying he was not even in New York.
Wall tweeted later that he was uninjured and didn’t see anything, which is what Duhon told ESPN.
Also in the club were Reese Witherspoon and husband Ryan Phillippe, as well as singer Estelle and a number of NFL players. None of these people were tied to the shooting, which was another random act of madness.
- Report: Suns, Eric Bledsoe have ‘made progress’ on a new contract in last couple of days 0
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 3
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16