Nov 16, 2011, 12:15 PM EST
Let’s be clear at the start — none of the NBA (or NFL) players at the club were involved in the incident. They were not tied to the shooter, they were not the targets. This is a case of wrong place, wrong time.
But a few NBA stars including John Wall and Russell Westbrook — as well as five New York Giants players and other celebrities — were in a New York Club where a gunman opened fire killing one person and injuring others Tuesday night, reports the New York Daily News.
The gunman, clad in a white leather jacket, crashed the crowded party at the Juliet Supper Club on W. 21st St. by squeezing off five shots shortly before 2:30 a.m., police said….
In Tuesday’s bloodshed, the killer is thought to have fired the shots in a bid to get even after a woman was bumped on the dance floor — but her relationship to the gunman was not clear, the sources said.
NBA players in the club included Wall, Westbrook, Carlos Boozer and Chris Duhon. The Times reported that recently drafted (but not yet signed) Kemba Walker was there, something Walker himself denied saying he was not even in New York.
Wall tweeted later that he was uninjured and didn’t see anything, which is what Duhon told ESPN.
Also in the club were Reese Witherspoon and husband Ryan Phillippe, as well as singer Estelle and a number of NFL players. None of these people were tied to the shooting, which was another random act of madness.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 17
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13