Nov 16, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT
Let’s be clear at the start — none of the NBA (or NFL) players at the club were involved in the incident. They were not tied to the shooter, they were not the targets. This is a case of wrong place, wrong time.
But a few NBA stars including John Wall and Russell Westbrook — as well as five New York Giants players and other celebrities — were in a New York Club where a gunman opened fire killing one person and injuring others Tuesday night, reports the New York Daily News.
The gunman, clad in a white leather jacket, crashed the crowded party at the Juliet Supper Club on W. 21st St. by squeezing off five shots shortly before 2:30 a.m., police said….
In Tuesday’s bloodshed, the killer is thought to have fired the shots in a bid to get even after a woman was bumped on the dance floor — but her relationship to the gunman was not clear, the sources said.
NBA players in the club included Wall, Westbrook, Carlos Boozer and Chris Duhon. The Times reported that recently drafted (but not yet signed) Kemba Walker was there, something Walker himself denied saying he was not even in New York.
Wall tweeted later that he was uninjured and didn’t see anything, which is what Duhon told ESPN.
Also in the club were Reese Witherspoon and husband Ryan Phillippe, as well as singer Estelle and a number of NFL players. None of these people were tied to the shooting, which was another random act of madness.
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 29
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 9
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 35
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 16
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 33
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1