Nov 16, 2011, 11:07 PM EDT
Phil Jackson will not be coaching this upcoming season (if there is one). He walked away from the Lakers a second time, this time like he was not looking back. It felt to me like he was done and meant it.
But Shaquille O’Neal thinks he could come back. Maybe to New York.
Shaq was in the Big Apple promoting his new book and talked about Jackson, reports ESPNNewYork.com.
“He may come back,” O’Neal said. “Phil always says he’s never coming back.”
“It was his focus and the way he did things and the way he taught us how to do things,” O’Neal said. “He did it on a cool, calm, respectable level. That’s what I didn’t like in Miami. We had problems with all the [yelling]. I’m like, ‘I just won three out of four with this guy [Jackson], so why would I do it this way?’ That’s why we had problems.”
Jackson would be tempted by a return to New York, to be a savior in the place where he played. He loves the city. But by the end of his second stint in LA Jackson was tired of eating airplane food and sleeping in hotels and all the annoyances that come with the grind of being in the NBA. He was weary. Jackson would be tempted by New York, but it’s hard to see him looking past all the reasons he left coaching.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 7
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 44
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional