Nov 16, 2011, 8:22 PM EDT
This lockout is painful. Like any smart creatures — and I’m talking about we the fans, not the players and owners — we want to avoid suffering the same pain in the future.
Meaning once this lockout ends, what steps can be put in place to make sure next CBA negotiations, whether it is six or 10 years from now, gets done with more urgency?
Every day after July 1 that the CBA passes without there being at least an agreement in principle, the league will pay $500,000 to a predetermined group of charities – chosen by the players, but not their own charities – in every NBA city…. (the players union will) have to pony up $250,000 for every day – it doesn’t make sense that the guys who get the checks are punished the same as the guys who cut them, does it? – and those will go to a predetermined group of charities – chosen by the owners – in every NBA community as well.
And for every month moving forward, the owners will have to pay another $250,000 (i.e., on August 1, $750,000 per day, September 1, $1,000,000 per day, etc.) while the players will see their daily total increase by another $125,000 per day (i.e. on August 1, $375,000 per day, September 1, $500,000 per day, etc.)
The idea here is pretty simple — these two sides didn’t really start to negotiate until they felt a financial pinch (and even that has not been enough). So, move the financial pain up in the calendar.
After July 1, a federal mediator should be injected into the talks because at that point, it’s clear that both sides can’t and probably won’t strike a deal even with the threat of having to cut checks because they can’t stick to a damn deadline, and…
It works for me. I would prefer to have owners not going for every penny and players willing to die on issues that only impact a handful of players, but I’m not trusting human nature here in the future. I trust Blakely more.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 16
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 39
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4